How to prevent paypal from forcing a fixed currency type at checkout on Wordpress site

User_one
Contributor
Contributor

I have a website built with Wordpress.org with Woocommerce installed. I am using the plugin "Paypal Express" that came with Woocommerce, to process payments, including card payments. I also have the plug in "WBW Currency Switcher for WooCommerce" to change currencies on my site. One of the options in this plugin is to force the currency at check out, but it comes with a note saying "You can allow change currency at checkout. Please note, that some payment systems (like PayPal) could use only fixed currencies."

When I do a test purchase and I convert the currency to something other than the default one, the new currency displays the prices, but when checking out using Paypal, it still converts it to the original price.

What is more strange is that sometimes, and I have not figured out when, Paypal takes the original numerical price that I have set in my shop back end, and attached the new currency to it, rather than converting it.

For example:

1. My shop is in USD.

2. Using the plugin, customers can change the currency to Euro.

3. When checking out, the price of say $50 USD is displayed as €45.94

4. When trying to pay with Paypal, the amount is either "$50" or "€50".

I would like the actual currency the payment is taken in, to change correctly. The other currency I have is AUD and all 3 are supported currencies.

Thanks

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

MTS_Jennifer

Hello @User_one ,

Thank you for posting to the PayPal Community.

You can setup your PayPal Account in both live and sandbox to accept all available currencies, and maintain balances in multiple currencies.

Here is how to update your Currency Settings:

1. Log in to your PayPal account. https://paypal.com (live) https://sandbox.paypal.com (sandbox)
  2. Go to your name on the homepage and choose Account Settings from the drop-down menu.
  3. In Account & Security, choose Payment preferences.
  4. In Block payments, choose Update.
  5. Go to Preferences for receiving payments, and select the third option: "Accept all payments without converting the currency, either adding to an existing balance or creating a new holding currency where needed."

Here is a listing of all available currency codes:

https://developer.paypal.com/api/rest/reference/currency-codes/

Thank you,

Jennifer

MTS

PayPal

Login to Me Too

User_one
Contributor
Contributor

Hello MTS_Jennifer,

Thank you for your reply, I am sorry for my late response as the notification ended up in my spam folder so I did not see it till now.

Unfortunately the solutions you posted were not useful for me. I already have "Accept all payments without converting the currency, either adding to an existing balance or creating a new holding currency where needed." selected. Additionally, I WANT to convert the currency. The idea is that a person in the USA can pay the correct equivalent amount in USD and a person in Europe can pay the correct equivalent amount in Euro and a person in Australia can pay the correct equivalent amount in AUD, so the currency HAS to be converted. As I mentioned before, what is happening instead is, paypal forces the currency to be changed to whatever my woocommerce store is, even if I have something that displays the correct equivalent amount in another currency. ie if a product is $50 USD but the buyer is in Europe, it might appear as €45 right up to the point when they check out, but, when they proceed to pay and go to PayPal's gateway to pay, the amount reverts to $50USD. I would like it to be whatever currency and numerical value that is shown to the buyer, ie in this example it should be €45.

Thanks and looking forward to an alternative solution.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.