Generating paypal payment button / link on behalf of a user

sona1111
Contributor
Contributor

Good Afternoon, 

I am working on a project web app, where one of the goals is to facilitate buyers and sellers on the site to send payments to each other directly (no funds processed by our site, no cut taken, etc) I would like it to be secure for the sellers, and not give out their personal information like paypal email address to buyers. (I don't want to just link to the generic paypal 'send payment' page) I basically would like to generate the secure paypal button on behalf of registered sellers, to make it hassle free for the seller after they input their paypal email.  Perhaps there is some verification process that the sellers will need to grant our app access or something first, which is fine.

If anyone has a chance, please let me know if a feature like this is available. I have not been able to find it through a good amount of routine searching.  thank you for reading. 

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
Yes, you could use the PayPal Identity API in conjunction with Permissions API to tie the "Grant API Permissions" procedure directly into your app.

This could also be done manually from within a seller PayPal account.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

sona1111
Contributor
Contributor

Hello angelleye, 

I started looking into the permissions api which seems to be the most obviously located at https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/permissions-service/gs_PermissionsService/# 

After seeing that it said it was "now a limited release product" and after actually trying to develop with it, it seems that it only uses the legacy SOAP api instead of the newer REST api, I am wondering if this is still a viable approach. 

Would you be able to clarify if there are any currently supported, non legacy solutions for what I am asking?

Appreciate your response. 

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
Yes, that is the old method. There is a newer version that works on the REST APIs.

Here is one doc that outlines its use with PayPal Here, but the procedure would be the same for any Scope you need.

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/integration/paypal-here/merchant-onboarding/permissions/

I can't find a more specific document, unfortunately.

Login to Me Too

sona1111
Contributor
Contributor

Hi angelleye, 

I appreciate the suggestion. After some searching, I was unable to find a similar feature documentation for payments standard, and "paypal here" does not really seem related to my use case. Do you know, or know where I can ask, where else I can try to find this documentation? It is very confusing to locate. 

Thank you and have a good night.

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
You won't find it for Payments Standard because that doesn't use the APIs. Permissions are for making API calls on behalf of 3rd party users.

That doc I linked is the best thing I've been able to find for Permissions in the REST API. That's what was provided by my PayPal Partner tech support rep. I think it's the best they have for now.

Again, the doc is specific to Here, but the steps are the same no matter what Scope you set. You can follow those same steps and just set a different Scope for the calls you need instead of Here calls.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.