Customer's transaction totally missing any record from my account?

warmsignal
Contributor
Contributor

The past few weeks we noticed a strange lull in sales for about a 2 week period, which has almost never occurred. Then finally, an order came in. Our web merchant software changed the payment status in an unusual way - "Payment pending (unilateral). Order status changed from Pending payment to On hold." Following this event, we ran an update on our software. Shortly after, orders started to come back. This makes me suspicious that something unusual was going on prior to the update.

The customer who's status was put "on hold" inquired about their order, and provided an email receipt of payment sent. It shows a transaction ID and address info, but I cannot find any transaction with that ID or the email specified, anywhere in my account. He seems to have sent money to my correct address, but I never actually received it?? Have no actual records of this transaction. Nothing under "hold" payments. Nothing in my activity for that date. It just doesn't seem to exist.

Could the customer be mistaken about the payment clearing? Maybe his card rejected payment after he submitted the order? How do I proceed and how do we find out if this transaction actually happened?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

warmsignal
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE: The buyer says he is told that I need to "create a PayPal account to accept his payment", like my email address (which is correct) isn't even registered on PayPal. Some kind of glitch? Still don't know what to do about it. Don't know why this has happened. Other transactions since then have gone without a hitch. I have not altered or changed my email address in any way before or after this issue.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.