12 months interest free instalments v 4 months 0% PayPal credit Payment allocation

troubleonline
Contributor
Contributor

I have 5 instalments left to pay for an item purchased from Dyson on a specific 12 months interest free instalments PayPal plan (at £33.25 per month til end Feb 2020).  

Last month I bought something else online and 'paid' using PayPal credit because it was for £200 I was eligible for 0% for 4 months (til December).   My intention is to clear that 'balance' before end of interest free period by paying money to that balance each month.  I expected that the 12 monthly instalments would continue as normal and any additional manual payments would be assigned to the purchase but not convinced that this will happen as my monthly instalment has increased from 33.25 to 38.25 but none of the additional £5 went to the £200 purchase.  It went to the Dyson purchase.

If PP assign all additional payments to the Dyson balance then I will still be left with all or most of the £200 PayPal Credit balance come the end of the 4 month interest free period.  I've just made a £50 payment but as was made same day that statement generated I cannot see until end of month where that payment is allocated but I am guessing that since they allocated the additional £5 to the other balance they will do the same with the £50.

That in my mind is misleading / unfair as PayPal are preventing me from enjoying the 4 month 0% interest they advertised/offered me at checkout.

I would understand if I had I made both purchases using the 4 months 0% PayPal credit period but the first purchase was a specific 12 month instalment plan and there has been no choice but to pay in equal instalments each month (whereas when purchases are made that are eligible for 4 months interest free the minimum payment appears to be just £5).

Login to Me Too
19 REPLIES 19

CatZero
I am taking this further too... exact same experience as original poster, with PP allocating 0% 4 months purchase payment to original 24 month agreement. This put me on min payment which have been ever since while trying to get this resolved. I’m taking complaint to financial ombudsman as I feel clarity of when to make payments is completely misleading. Will never be using PP credit again after this.
Login to Me Too

Panic_Attache
I think it would be helpful to be able to specify what an additional payment is used to pay off. Your monthly payment could pay off existing credit and you could instruct PayPal to use the extra payment to be applied to the 0% for x months transactions.
Login to Me Too

mandv2005
Contributor
Contributor
Exactly the same issue as bought 12 month interest free plan and then 4 month 0% plan 3 months later. I got a refund initially on the 4 month plan as the item purchased was not in stock. The refund was posted to the 12 month plan not against the later purchase. This cancelled the 12 month plan and left me with all of the debt, the original 12 month plans and new 4 month plan to pay off in 4 months. Rang customer service and advised they saw the problem, it is their system that allocate the payments incorrectly, but could not do anything about it. Blamed it on how the system is configured and tough luck as they cannot change it. This is such a poor system so be aware and do not overlap these offers. I will now have to pay off both agreement in just a few months to avoid any extra costs. DO NOT USE this in the future.
Login to Me Too

Kent318
Contributor
Contributor

Having no support on top of it made me decide not to use the service at all until it gets resolved.

Login to Me Too

CatZero
Exact same experience, I was told also it’s how the system works and even paying over the phone, rather than online, with human intervention wouldn’t have stopped it from happening! Seems like a way for PP to keep people in debt. Have completely lost trust in them, and will not use or recommend after this experience for sure!
Login to Me Too

Chansug
Contributor
Contributor
I believe they are not honouring the 12 months 0% payment plan by allocating payments to that plan rather than to the items bought later with 0% 4 months plan. I should say they are breaking the terms of 12 months instalment plan. I will certainly take it up with ombudsman if they don't reverse my situation. I am now paying interest because of how their 'system' works. I have stopped using PayPal credit as such.
Login to Me Too

mandv2005
Contributor
Contributor
I do hope someone challenges this because if not legally wrong is definitely morally incorrect.
Login to Me Too

mandv2005
Contributor
Contributor
I have still not had any other contact from pp and do not want to bother ringing again, my issue I know, so have decided to pay off loan by new earlier date to avoid charges. As it takes over 10 days to transfer money in to pp from my bank account, really 10 days, have done this early to ensure funds have cleared to pay off pp balance. As previously stated and agree with other reviewers that they are breaking potential terms of the loan will not use this in the future.
Login to Me Too

Chansug
Contributor
Contributor
I have also spoken to them. They blame it on the 'system'. That's an easy get out clause for any customer support so no use talking to them.
Login to Me Too

ripoffcredit

same issue. I'm reporting this and closing the account. Complete scam. Should not be allowed to operate

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.