Paypal unfair

ant_wigan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all

So 2 months ago I sold an item on ebay. The buyer paid and I sent the item which they received.

A few days ago the buyer opened a dispute. He is claiming a chargeback for an unauthorised transaction. I contacted paypal who said I have done nothing wrong and that the claim was against them and not me.

What I cant understand is why hold the funds from my account? I now have a negative balance for doing absolutely nothing wrong!!

Does anyone have any advise? 

Paypal have already said the claim is against them but still they hold the funds..

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ant_wigan

An unauthorised transaction means that an account holders Paypal account was hacked and used without their consent by your ?buyer.
If Paypal check IP addresses etc and find in favour of the account holder then of course they are reimbursed.

However you would not lose out either as long as you met ALL the requirements of seller protection, so your best bet is to go and read up on it to make sure you were covered.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ant_wigan
Contributor
Contributor

But its obvious the buyer is just trying to rip off paypal. He has been using the item for 2 months before opening this case. How can paypal not see this?

Also I still cant get my head around how they can just take the money from my account like that. The unauthorised payment(if there was one) has nothing to do with me.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ant_wigan

The 'buyer' may have been using it BUT the 'account holder' whos paypal account was hijacked and used without their consent may well have only just noticed the transaction they did not authorise recently.

And as the transaction was done via you then it has to do with you  BUT as I said if you met ALL the requirements of seller protection you would not lose out.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ant_wigan
Contributor
Contributor

But I am not responsible for an account that belongs to someone else. Everyone is responsible for the security of their own accounts.

In future maybe I should go to their home and check  that the payment was authorised by them before I send the item.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ant_wigan

No, all you need to do is read up on paypals seller protection and make sure you are covered when you sell items.......that is your responsibility.........if you are covered then you get reimbursed.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.