BEWARE LATEST SPAMMER posing as PAYPAL: Ignore and block sender.

whatsupdoctoys
Contributor
Contributor

Dear members,

Please beware of a recent spammer email and ignore it and block the sender.

here is the message:

"Dear customer,

Your paypal account has been temporarily restricted. We have found suspicious activity on credit cards linked to your paypal account. You must confirm your identity to confirm that you own the credit card.

To maintain account security, please provide documents that confirm your identity.

(it then asks you to login to paypal using a link placed here)

After you complete the requested task, we will review the account and contact you about its status within 5 working days. Thankyou for your attention to the problem".

So, don't be fooled! check the sender's email address and you'll notice right away that it is not official.  Also it is taking nonsense about suspicious credit card activity and needing documents to prove our identity which we know is gibberish.

I hope this will help some people but it may be too late.  always only log into your paypal using the official paypal website

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Chue12345
New Community Member
What should I do?! I was an idiot and logged in using the link on the phoney email - it was early and I just got up, don't judge me 😧 After logging in, it asked me to input some characters to prove I am not a robot. When I clicked on that my screen was flooded with pop-ups and indicated that it was infected with viruses. There was a button which offered to remove the viruses but I didn't click anything else and just closed out everything out as I'm sure that just leads to more scams. My question now is, having logged in, is my account safe? And what do I do now? I removed all accounts attached to my paypal right after this incident so hopefully who ever logs in cannot access any of my money... please let me know if anyone else had a similar issue. Thanks
Login to Me Too

whatsupdoctoys
Contributor
Contributor

Chue12345

I'm sorry to hear that you had become victimized by this scammer.  Have you tried:

1. changing the password right away?

2. report to Paypal what happened?   Just go to Help at bottom of your paypal home page after you logged in and type in fake email from paypal and you'll see choices: choose "how do I report a fake paypal email" and go from there.

I hope you remain safe.

Gotta be more careful from now on; I made the same boo boo as you did and I quickly changed my password and so far no problems.

I hope this helps

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.