Do I have to update my API credentials if I have an API Signature rather than an API Certificate?

TheOutlier
Contributor
Contributor

In addition to PayPal's Merchant Security Roadmap upgrades, I noticed that there was something new - update API certificate credentials, and there's another deadline for that (Jan 1, 2018).  Here's where I read that info:  https://www.paypal-knowledge.com/infocenter/index?page=content&widgetview=true&id=FAQ1915&viewlocale... When I checked in my PayPal account, it says that I have a "Signature" as a credential and not "Certificate."  Are these 2 different things?  On that page I just gave above, it says to check for the Expiration Date and if it's 10 years after the Request Date, then you need to update the certificate before Jan 1, 2018.  In my case, I see a Request Date but I don't see an Expiration Date.  I don't see a "Renew Certificate" button either.  Again, it says "Signature" not "Certificate" so it's making me think that they're 2 different things.  I'm reading elsewhere that an "API Signature" is different than an "API Certificate" but I just wanted to get confirmation here.  Also, my signature Request Date was in 2010 and that's a long time ago so it's making me wondering if it needs updating or if it's just the certificates that need updating?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

Yes, signature and certificate are two different methods of authentication.  With certificate you would actually install a certificate on your web server and it can be more complicated.  PayPal introduced the signature method after that which is easier, and if that's what you're already using I would just stick with it.  In which case you don't need to worry about a certificate expiring or anything like that.  

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.