Paying in U.S. funds using a Canadian U.S. funds credit card

catnip
Contributor
Contributor

I live in Canada, therefore I have a Canadian Paypal account.  I have a U.S. funds credit card issued from a Canadian institution.  Many of my purchases are in U.S. funds, but Paypal always converts these purchases into Canadian funds (with an outrageous conversion fee, I might add.) 

I have added my U.S. funds credit card to my Canadian account.  Now how do I make it so Paypal will not convert my U.S. purchases into Canadian funds so that I may complete my U.S. transactions using my U.S. funds credit card?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

catnip
Contributor
Contributor

Never mind... I just found the 'conversion options' field below the credit card selection field.  Paid in U.S. funds using my U.S. credit card - very happy about that.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10
Solved

catnip
Contributor
Contributor

Never mind... I just found the 'conversion options' field below the credit card selection field.  Paid in U.S. funds using my U.S. credit card - very happy about that.

Login to Me Too

CBNIGHTWING

Hi catnip- I am Canadian too and would love to know how you get a US credit card from a Canadian bank. I do have a US account at my Canadian bank. Thanks for any help!

Login to Me Too

catnip
Contributor
Contributor

@CBNIGHTWING wrote:

Hi catnip- I am Canadian too and would love to know how you get a US credit card from a Canadian bank. I do have a US account at my Canadian bank. Thanks for any help!

Mine's a BMO Bank of Montreal Airmiles USD Mastercard, but I think all the big banks offer them. 

http://www4.bmo.com/creditcards/usdollar/0,4978,35649_78277448,00.html

Login to Me Too

justforme

I believe that is correct - that all major Canadian banks now offer US-dollar credit cards.  I use one issued by TD Canada Trust.

There is another way to avoid the outrageous conversion...I log into eBay.com rather than eBay.ca.  I don't think I am missing anything, and perhaps I see a wider array of goods (which could be a problem, depending on what you want).  Most of the sellers I deal with are in the US and want US$.  My Canadian bank US$ credit card is linked to my account, and I pay with it - no conversion, no toggle to worry about, since it is US$ default, and so is my credit card.  If you deal mostly with US sellers, you might want to give it a try - I believe you can use the same eBay account.

Login to Me Too

pudding1128
New Community Member

hi catnip, can u specify where the 'conversion options' is and which option u chose?

i'm having the same problem and using BMO mastercard now.

thanks for teaching me!!

@catnip wrote:

Login to Me Too

catnip
Contributor
Contributor

When you are sending money, it's in the final screen just before you hit 'submit payment.'  There are two choices: 

1. PayPal does the conversion for you, or

2. Your institution does the conversion for you - in this case, there is no conversion as it's a U.S. funds card.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

catnip,

I just wanted to stop in and say thank you for assisting your fellow community members.  That's the kind of community spirit we like to see!  Kudos to you!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

Smedley
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know why Paypal won't accept a $USD Canadian bank account.  There is no explanation in their "Help" section.  When I have called I am only told that $USD transfers must be to a bank physically located in the US.   I have also read the Paypal explanations in other threads on this site and they are simply not credible.  Other financial institutions are able to do these transfers (see below).  I don't know why PayPal can't.  Probably because they don't want to give up the huge revenue from the exchange conversion.

The exchange rates that Paypal and  $CDN credit cards charge are rediculously high.  I too have discovered that it is much cheaper to pay for my $USD eBay purchases with my $USD BMO Mastercard and eliminate Paypal entirely.  I then pay my $USD Mastercard bill every month by a simple online transfer from my BMO $USD savings account. 

I have also found that I get the best exchange rate when buying/selling $USD, can be found online at XE.com.

XE.com does electronic funds transfers to/from almost any currency.  

That sort of confirms that PayPal has not done their homework and will continue to lose business from Canadian customers.  Too bad really.

Login to Me Too

stkram

I know I'm not on topic, but I am NEW with PayPal, and in need of assisstance.

I have $0.00 in my account (as I just signed up), and want to pay for a purchased item via my credit card. I have the seller's email address.

Can anyone tell me how I get PayPal to take the apprpriate amount from my credit card?

Thanks!

Mark

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.