"Something went wrong, We couldn't link your bank" error message

axune
Contributor
Contributor

For the past three days, I have been trying to link my personal bank account to my PayPal account. The first time I tried, my bank wouldn't appear in the search bar, but my brother told me that it did appear for him when he made his account (we use the same bank). When I correctly entered the routing number and my bank account number, it said it would send a transaction to my account, but when I checked back two days later (today) there was no linked bank account awaiting verification on my PayPal wallet page. My online bank account also did not have the verification deposits/ withdrawals that PayPal said it would send. Now, when I try to re-enter my bank information, sometimes my bank WILL appear in the search bar- but when I click on it, I get an error message that says "Something went wrong. We couldn't link your bank. Try again later." When it doesn't appear and I manually enter the information in, it gives me another error message along the lines of "We can't process your request". This is ridiculous. What have I done to anger the PayPal gods? I just want to buy a t-shirt.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

SadiesDad
Contributor
Contributor

When I received this error it seemed to have been caused by my Chrome settings in which I had blocked third party cookies. When I enabled third party cookies I was able to complete the setup (and right after that I blocked them again). I'm guessing that PayPal is trying to drop a cookie from the bank during the setup login to the bank, so Chrome considers this a third party cookie from the point of view of the PayPal session. It would be helpful if PayPal added this to the error message or the help/FAQs.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.