Why is PayPal Exchange Rate different than quoted at point of sale on eBay?

Gonesy1
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased an item in Euro's and eBay states that the amount I will pay in Pounds is £354.03 AFTER exchange rate.

PayPal is now going to charge me £373.15, nearly £20 extra! 

I contacted eBay to confirm that I should only be paying the quoted £354.03, and they agreed and didn't know why PayPal were inflating the price. They also told me that I would need to take this up with them as PayPal and eBay were different companies.

So I tried to call PayPal to query the transaction with them and....Banks Open, eBay Open, Mercury Holidays Open, Virgin Holidays Open.....PayPal, who are basically a bank CLOSED, online Messaging Service doesn't respond at all what a surprise! 

So I guess I will just be ripped off by almost £20 by PayPal and there is nothing I can do about it.  Only trouble is that in order to keep using eBay I will just have to swallow having to put up with PayPal.....unless anyone has any other solutions.

I see that PayPal get absolutely slated on Trust pilot, I wonder why.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Gonesy1 

Ebay auctions clearly state ''approximately US $6.19'' 

Secondly that amount is for the item cost only so you have to add on the shipping cost and the currency conversion for that as well (if any).

https://www.paypal.com/ca/smarthelp/article/where-can-i-find-paypal's-currency-calculator-and-exchan...

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Gonesy1
Contributor
Contributor

No No!  Have you actually read my post?

Ebay have confirmed the amount I will be paying, it actually says that the exchange rate is applied at time of purchase and not some fictitious figure plucked out of the air!  This has nothing to do with $ at all.

As I said eBay HAVE CONFIRMED PAYPAL ARE OVERCHARGING ME! And the cost INCLUDES postage!

Using your calculator, in PayPal it seems that I am being ripped off even more!  Use the calculator yourself....put in 405 Euro to Pounds and see what you get?

https://www.paypal.com/ca/smarthelp/article/where-can-i-find-paypal's-currency-calculator-and-exchan...

Let me know

Login to Me Too

Gonesy1
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

Did you read my reply?

And...

Did you use the calculator you sent me?

Many thanks

Login to Me Too

Gonesy1
Contributor
Contributor

@ kernowlass

Hello again!

I see you haven't got very much else to say, and you were very quick to jump on my initial post, is that because you have checked the exchange rate yourself and realised that you can't justify your comment?

Please feel free to get back to me, I am just curious as to why someone, who is supposed to be an "Esteemed Advisor" would make, and forgive me for saying, an irrelevant, poorly thought out contribution to my post?

Thanks

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Gonesy1 

Well i didn't reply because I went out for a walk, that ok with you?

Nothing to add to my first post anyway, as i said Ebay clearly state the rate is ESTIMATED on their auction pages.

As to the rest if you don't like my advice feel free to ignore it, I really couldn't care less one way or another. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Gonesy1
Contributor
Contributor
maybe if you looked at the facts before jumping in with silly conclusions you might be taken more seriously, and your comments were hardly advice, so yes I will ignore it Thanks
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Gonesy1 

Your welcome.    😀

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.