Sending money from non USD primary currency

samsaffrey
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I am trying to send some money to a friend in the UK, but my primary accounts is in Malaysian Ringgits. However, when I entered an amount to send, it would not let me send it. instead it asked me to select my credit card as funding source. I have 1000 on paypal, but only wanted to transfer 200. Ive made my Malaysian Ringgit my primary currency, but it still wont let me send from my primary currency account. as I also have about 20 USD, i found if I entered an amount of Malaysian ringgit to send that is below the 20USD, then it would allow me to send, but deducted from the USD currency balance, not from my Malaysian Ringgit balance. please advise how I may send money using my Malaysian Ringgit as Primary.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@samsaffrey

If the receiver is in the UK then you need to send the payment in sterling.

To do that you would have to convert your currency to sterling to use any paypal balance.

Other than that use your credit card and paypal will do the conversion for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

samsaffrey
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Kudos,

My primary currency is Malaysian Ringgit. When I try to send money, on the sending page, it allows me to select ringgit, which it automatically converts to Sterling pound. Unfortunately it doesnt have the option to deduct from my ringgit balance.

Are you saying I will have to convert it to sterling pounds on paypal wallet, before I am able to send anything? I tried doing that, but it only allows us to convert from USD to any other currency, and not any other currency to USD.

Thanks for your time to answer this. many thanks!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@samsaffrey

My username is kernowlass and not kudos !!!

What I am saying is if you are sending an international payment then you can only do so if the funds in your paypal 'balance' are in that currency ie sterling.

If they are not  then you have to fund it via a card and then it will go through as sterling as paypal will convert it from your card for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.