Paypal Bank Account - Direct Debit vs Debit Card payment

Lstewart15
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all, 

My bank (Santander) have a function where you can see your balance less your pending transactions (e.g. if my balance is £100 and I have just bought £10 on items using chip and pin my 'Balance after pending' is £90.

However, Paypal is not showing up under this 'Pending transaction' function. - The money spent on paypal is basically coming out 3 to 4 days after it's spent. I called the bank who told me that the reason for this is because Paypal are taking the money as a Direct debit rather than a debit card payment.

Is there any way of changing this? - i.e. is there a way of having Paypal payments process as a debit card payment rather than via a Direct Debit. We spend a lot online with Paypal but this really is starting to annoy me as I'm having to manually reconcile charges etc vs my account balance.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lstewart15 

Transfers from bank accounts are never instant, that is why when you buy something paypal credit the seller upfront for you and paypal take the wait for the funds to transfer to pay them back again, this is so you get your item without delay.

Takes 5-7 working days to transfer as Paypal use the slowest (cheapest) transfer option BUT funds normally leave your bank account from a few hours up to a few days later.

You can of course change your funding source from your bank account TO any linked and confirmed card, just link one and then do this..........

Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > second down click on update next to your prefered way to pay and put a dot in one of the options listed.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Lstewart15
Contributor
Contributor
Hello, Thank you so much for your clarification. So there's no way for me to change this it seems?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lstewart15 

Did you only read the first half of my post???

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.