Money on hold from paypal

todd211
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I sold a piece of equipment on ebay yesterday for a high amount of money. Paypal is holding the money until the item is shipped (21 days). I understand their policy and why its there. My question is, this piece of equipment is not being shipped. The buyer is coming to pick it up. How do I let paypal know to release the money once the buyer has the machine in his possession?

I tried calling their customer service but they are closed and I can't get a hold of anyone at paypal to answer this question. 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@todd211 

It would have been better to have told the buyer not to use paypal and to have paid cash on collection.

However now you have accepted it............

If the buyer is collecting the item from you, you can mark the item as shipped in the PayPal transaction details, and that should open up the capability for the buyer to go into the transaction details on their side, and acknowledge receipt of the item. That should allow the payment to be completed.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

todd211
Contributor
Contributor

Like I said the item was sold on EBay. Ebay has strict rules about accepting cash and makes it impossible to send phone numbers to exchange meeting times etc. Thank you for the quick response. My fear is that the buyer takes the equipment and tells paypal he did not receive it and he gets his money back and i'm out of my equipment.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@todd211 

Ebay allows cash on collection..........I always use it for my collect items.

From Ebay help pages.

Depending on the category, you can also accept:

• Bank-to-bank transfers or deposits
  • Bank and personal checks
  • Money orders
  • Cash on delivery
  • Payment on pickup, including cash

As long as you listed the item as 'collection' then buyers can't file disputes for non receipt of item for collect items.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#purchase-protection

Ineligible items and transactions under PayPal’s Purchase Protection program

For Item Not Received claims, items which you collect in person or arrange to be collected on your behalf, including items bought in a seller’s store location.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.