Living in France but with UK credit cards that I want to use for payment

Millarkey
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have a French paypal account, but I can't add a UK (pounds) credit card despite the card being registered to a French address.

I was told to open a UK paypal account but I only have one e-mail address and when I enter this, I am automatically redirected to the French site.  I have been trying to contact someone at Paypal to understand what to do, but find myself on a constant loop with an automated telephone service.

Do I have to set up a dummy e-mail account just to be able to set up a second Paypal account? Will I be able to enter a UK credit card's details even though it is registered to a French address?  

Please, please help!

Thank you.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Millarkey

Paypal is country specific so if you move countries you have to open another paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / and bank accounts from within that country.

You are supposed to withdraw any funds / resolve issues / remove cards and bank accounts before you leave your old country. If you don't then you may have problems doing so once you have moved.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Millarkey
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for your prompt reply Kernowlass.

I don't think I explained my situation clearly - I'm a Brit living abroad.  Does Paypal seriously expect me to close down my assets in the UK and not use UK bank accounts to pay for items in pounds sterling?  And surely it would be illegal to not have my permanent address in France registered with my UK banks?  But then again, maybe I'm mistaken... 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Millarkey

You can't use a UK paypal account in France.

You can open a French paypal account.

You are allowed 2 paypal accounts as long as x1 is personal and the other x1 is business.

You can't add UK bank accounts OR addresses OR cards to a French paypal account.

You can't add French bank accounts OR addresses OR cards to a UK paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Millarkey
Contributor
Contributor

I never thanked you for your comments.  Sadly they were not able to help me resolve the question I had but you clearly explained the rules.

Login to Me Too

PoppyAnnie
Contributor
Contributor
Hi Did you ever resolve your problem? I am experiencing exactly the same. British, living in France with British ca4ds all of whom are registered to my French address. Need to be able to use PayPal!
Login to Me Too

Millarkey
Contributor
Contributor

Sadly not and yet again this issue has come up for me again...

Login to Me Too

Smartie2
New Community Member

Well i seen some nonsense around the block, why did you change your address in UK for UK account??? makes no sense when French would not do the same for you first of all.

i have 2 personal accounts as i live in both countries 

you need two email addresses

one phone number is enough country irrelevant

french account and english account setup easy just follow steps

Change your French addresses to english on your english account should be simple via online banking

than delete cards and accounts on your paypal if necessary stop using the old paypal use a new email address in general and set up new UK account paypal and your new french account paypal

simple way to save your tabs on your browser is to use paypal.com/fr and paypal.com/gb

if any more questions don't hesitate to ask 🙂 i figured this out by myself so as i see many have this issue, make sure you do as above and you can use 2 paypal accounts.

seee yaaaa

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.