netflix

aliciachriatina
New Community Member

The entire reason I got paypal was to be able to pay for netflix, because on the website it says nothing about having to link a credit card to your paypal to be able to pay for the netflix. When you are signing up for netflix, it says "link a debti OR credit card" so I go through the whole process of verifying my debit card,  thinking that  I will be able to use netflix, and then I go to pay again and at the top it says "you must have a credit card to complete this transaction"

well hey. isn't that something I would have liked to know before GETTING PAY PAL IN THE FIRST PLACE OR PUTTING MY INFORMATION ONLINE.

I called netflix to complain about this issue, but they said that it is paypal's fault.
but why do they even connect with paypal then?

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

PPneedsCCbackup
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing just happened to me!  I signed up for Netflix using a Pay as You Go Credit card....but haven't loaded it in a while as I DON"T use it....so I thought. Great I'd sign up for Pay Pal and pay that way... Went through confirming my email...confirming my bank account and all that time consuming things!!! To find out You need a 'true high interest rate CC in order to Pay through PAY PAL.  This is totally NOTHING to do with NETFLIX!  It is a Pay Pal policy and YES they should let you know this beforehand!!!!!!!  So I will simply go back to using my CC and REload $ on it! ~~any other suggestions PAY PAL?????

Login to Me Too

SharonRA
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem,  and I don't know why.  The other card that is linked to my bank account is only a debit card, and Netflix regularly takes that card.  But not the PayPal Debit Mastercard.     This makes no sense to me,  and I wonder if it is a PayPal issue or a Netflix issue?

I've been verified with paypal for years,  and I have very little trouble with the debit card elsewhere.  I even have the "Bill Me Later"  but Netflix doesn't work with that either.

I called Netflix,  and the guy had no idea.    Wanted me to go purchase a $5.95 card from somewhere to pay a $7.99 bill.  Um, no thanks. 

Has anyone been able to get through or around this problem?

Login to Me Too

roni_19862005

Same problem here!!!!!! uhg!!!!! This is the same reason we have paypal... now paypal wont let us pay for our netflix without a credit card or debit? Uh if I had those I wouldnt be using paypal... duh!!!! I'm so annoyed with you, pay pal!!!!!! Oh and same for hulu as well!

Login to Me Too

pink_kitten
New Community Member

i did hear if you have a balance of 25.00 dollers it will go through without needing a cc!!

Login to Me Too

iffykiller
New Community Member

I have a debit card linked to my paypal. i use it for WoW and spotify but when I try tot use netflix, it say there is a problem with my card. I checked my bank i have the money, so i dont see what the probelm is.

Login to Me Too

DJMyst007
New Community Member

I have never had an issue with Netflix until about 2 months ago. Now twice my account has been disabled, and when I log into paypal I do not see any rejected or pending transactions.

I called Netflix and they comlain they cannot try the Paypal account again, and the guy told me there was an issue with their PCs and he could not access my account for billing purposes. 

He told me to cancel my plan, then start a new one. When you do this you only have limited options.  DVD by mail (1 DVD), or Live streaming. I had to add additional features later, which caused them to over bill me... then recredit me several days later. What???

It is sad because other payments to Paypal are going through without issue, on Netflix has issues. It is funny, without making any changes to my Paypal account they charged and credited me/my bank no problem when I cancelled my account and started new. I did not add a new credit card, I just cancelled and started a new plan with the same Netflix account.

I do not see what the difference is between a verified Paypal account vs a Credit/Debit Card account. Do you???

Login to Me Too

Wyld_Black_Wolf
Contributor
Contributor

guys.. i chose to have paypal for my transactions from places like ebay and such.. but would never have used oaypal for netflix even if it was avaialble. id rather have my freedom card thanks. works JUST fine and doesn't cost me THAT much extra to load. PLUS i STILL use netflix often enough to warrant the 8.00 /m i'm paying . . no i'm not going to connect paypal and netflix. ive got enough running through this account without me adding more to it like that (handy tho the idea may be .. i still won't . call me old fashioned if you will)

Login to Me Too

bones1
New Community Member

The rediculous Netflix/PayPal matter continues as of this date.  My situation is relatively simple.  A month ago I was on tthe Netflix $4.99 DVD plan.  I asked it be updated to their $7.99 plan.  I received email that it was done.  Then I saw that Netflix continued billing PayPal for $4.99+tax.  I resubscribed to Netflix's $7.99 plan.  Agaiin, I got an email showing they had upgraded my subscription.  Yesterday, I saw they were still billiing at the $4.99 one.  I called Netflix.  Total run-around and lame excuses.  Seems nothing can be done.  They said it only happens with the DVD plan and not the streamiing.  Very strange, don't you think.  This has become a personal issue to resolve.  Otherwise I'd quit.  Regards, Gene

Login to Me Too

GDog

Similar problem here, a 12-year NetFlix customer. Back on June 3, 2013 I attempted to upgrade my DVD plan from 1 DVD out to 2 DVD's out. It would not accept my payment method. CSR told me there was a problem with the billings to PayPal only when upgrading. Said it would be fixed in a couple of weeks. Time passes and I forgot about it. Today, July 18th, I tried to upgrade again and STILL got the exact same problem! 7-weeks to fix a problem like this is unreasonable. I called again, and the CSR told me the same thing as before. What total BS this is. If NF wanted to fix this, they certainly could have done so in 7-weeks time and I told them so. Basically, I was told that the only way I could upgrade my account is to change to a Credit Card payment method. I told them I do not have any credit cards, but they had no solution. Sounds like NetFlix doesn't care much about their customers, regardless of how long they have been a customer or even when their customer wants to upgrade their account. Personally, I have never encountered a company so blatently apothetic in my life. I am currently exploring other DVD Rental options, like BlockBuster (who also accepts PayPal) and others. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.