cannot copy and paste passwords

GoGoJoe
New Community Member

I am copying and pasting what Conehead1456 wrote on a now locked topic.  I ditto, and echo the expressed feelings.

Frankly I do not appreciate having, and being Forced to manually input such serious, secure passwords.  I request Paypal to allow pasting in new passwords.

I am very frustrated with the method of changing passwords.  I have a password generator that creates extremely complicated random passwords and use this for all of my very sensitive online accounts.  The generator allows me to create and update passwords on a regular basis, giving me the best security I can manage.

Very upsetting is that paypal does not allow me to copy and paste these passwords that are exceptionally secure.  Instead Paypal requires that I manually input them.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Not defending PayPal in any whay here as other companies, businesses and corporations do the same thing.  The main reason is it makes a brute force hack of the dialog box more difficult.  It's not just PayPal, Apple does the same thing.  Every company, business, corporation has the right to first protect their systems which also protects their customers and/or users.  (Who knows, perhaps Target was hacked because they allowed copy and paste.)

Login to Me Too

Avarice
Contributor
Contributor

Perhaps you should take time to read the actual complaint/question before simply cutting and pasting your canned FUD response.

1. Your argument about protecting against brute force is a joke since the ONLY place that PayPal doesn't allow pasting the password is in the 2 New Password fields on the Edit Password page. I can paste, & by your logic brute force attack, any account from the login screen. If they are at this screen, they have already compromised your account and are simply changing the password for their future use.
  2. I manually typed in a password which I created using 1Passord. I would have typed in the >40 character password I was going to use, but got a big red warning that I had reached the maximum allowable characters when I hit 20. PayPal has access to my money, and the MAXIMUM number of characters I can make a password is 20!? That is simply terrible security. If you were serious about stopping brute force attacks then that is the very first thing you would change.
  3. Once I typed it in 2x manually, I can now happily use my 20 character runty password on any other login page at PayPal by pasting it in the box.   

It appears that PayPal actually wants to make it easier to brute force attack them. Since there are over 1500 views on this topic, it is clearly something that PayPal should address directly. Where are the real PayPal employees?

Finally - I'd like a reference to the page where "Apple does the same thing." I have never run into that on any of Apple's sites, developer or otherwise. 

Login to Me Too

mongoose303
New Community Member

I replying to the other similar post that seems to be locked from further activity (replies).  It seems apparent that modification of Google Crhome's .exe  script to disable java works fine to sign up for Paypal using the copy/paste from your password document BUT will stop there.  Once you go back and try to use Paypal, you won't get past their login page....it doesn't help.

Conclusion:  I've wasted enough time with this "service" site,  I'm done with Paypal.

Login to Me Too

brucejb50

I had the same problem. Hit login without a password . the error page will let you paste your password

Bruce

Login to Me Too

Mark_Hagerman
Contributor
Contributor

I agree completely. Forcing the user to manually type a long, complicated password is inherently error-prone; it does more harm than good. Fix this, so I can paste my new passwords in when I change it!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.