Paypal charges

omgi2
Contributor
Contributor

During my last transaction from Paypal I sold my item for $1.00 I shipped international charging $6.00 total invoice for the item and the shipping was $7.00.  Paypal charged $.57 fees 3.9% plus $.30,  this means that they charged a fee for the mailing of the package.  The transaction was $1.00 I calculate that as $.33 the rest is mail why do they recharge for the mail?  As the buyer I do not make money on the mailing fee so this would be a 57% charge, and in the end what does Paypal send to IRS?  The total with the mail fee, or just the transaction.  I sent and E Mail, but Antonio (PayPal) did not seem to understand the question.  Maybe one of the forum people can explain the pricing, and if they (PayPal) are going to charge including the mailing fee then Paypal needs to make that clear.  I realize this is a very small item in the scheme of things, but I would like to know up front all of the charges it will make a difference whether I should sale small items or just add to the landfill. 

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You paid extra for cross-border fees/currency conversion.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

omgi2
Contributor
Contributor

I understand the what Paypal is charging, but my question why are they charging for mail USPS handles the mail.  The charge and conversion should only be for the sale transaction which in this case was $1.00 not $7.00 so the fees should total 3.9% times $1.00 plus the $.30 not 3.9% times the $7.00 plus the $.30. Paypal payment schedule states transaction not transaction plus mailing fees. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Paypal is charging you to process a payment.

It does not matter what that payment is comprised of.

If i pay a cheque into the bank into my business account it is charged even if the buyer is paying for postage for the item as well. The bank doesn't say oh we'll only charge you less as the buyer wants the item posted.

You are paying to receive card funded payments from a purchaser.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

omgi2
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.