PayPal Policy Changes: Unlimited Right To Spam/Robocall?

BoCoKeith
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone else read the revised "Calls to You; Mobile Telephone Number" policy?  Here's a golden nugget:

You consent to receive autodialed or prerecorded calls and text messages from PayPal at any telephone number that you have provided us or that we have otherwise obtained.  We may place such calls or texts to ... contact you with offers and promotions...  Standard telephone minute and text charges may apply if we contact you.

So, unless you terminate your PalPal account (there does not appear to be an opt-out option), you are giving them at unlimited license to robocall and spam you with ads on your nickel.

PayPal, I just want you to know that I can't live with this.  I'l be terminating my account prior to the July 15 deadline unless this condition gets modified or an opt-out option is offered.  Too bad, because it's been a convenient way to centralize my on-line purchasing credentials.

Login to Me Too
28 REPLIES 28

SDavern
Contributor
Contributor

I completely agree with BoCoKeith's sentiment.  Please tell us there will be a way to opt out of such usage of the phone numbers you have for us after July 1, 2015!

Sean

Login to Me Too

light-scientist
Contributor
Contributor

@BoCoKeith wrote:

Has anyone else read the revised "Calls to You; Mobile Telephone Number" policy?  Here's a golden nugget:

You consent to receive autodialed or prerecorded calls and text messages from PayPal at any telephone number that you have provided us or that we have otherwise obtained.  We may place such calls or texts to ... contact you with offers and promotions...  Standard telephone minute and text charges may apply if we contact you.

So, unless you terminate your PalPal account (there does not appear to be an opt-out option), you are giving them at unlimited license to robocall and spam you with ads on your nickel.

PayPal, I just want you to know that I can't live with this.  I'l be terminating my account prior to the July 15 deadline unless this condition gets modified or an opt-out option is offered.  Too bad, because it's been a convenient way to centralize my on-line purchasing credentials.

I'm in complete agreement and will be cancelling my paypal account despite the convienence.  I am so disapointed in you guys.  You must know that privacy and illicit advertising is a hot topic for users.

If anyone has not read the policy change you can find it here:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full

Here is the offending section:

Section 1.10
We are updating terms of the PayPal User Agreement regarding the means through and purposes for which we may contact you.

The revised section 1.10 reads as follows:

1.10 Calls to You; Mobile Telephone Numbers. You consent to receive autodialed or prerecorded calls and text messages from PayPal at any telephone number that you have provided us or that we have otherwise obtained.  We may place such calls or texts to (i) notify you regarding your account; (ii) troubleshoot problems with your account (iii) resolve a dispute; (iv) collect a debt; (v) poll your opinions through surveys or questionnaires, (vii) contact you with offers and promotions; or (viii) as otherwise necessary to service your account or enforce this User Agreement, our policies, applicable law, or any other agreement we may have with you. The ways in which you provide us a telephone number include, but are not limited to, providing a telephone number at Account opening, adding a telephone number to your Account at a later time, providing it to one of our employees, or by contacting us from that phone number. If a telephone number provided to us is a mobile telephone number, you consent to receive SMS or text messages at that number. We won’t share your phone number with third parties for their purposes without your consent, but may share your phone numbers with our Affiliates or with our service providers, such as billing or collections companies, who we have contracted with to assist us in pursuing our rights or performing our obligations under this User Agreement, our policies, applicable law, or any other agreement we may have with you. You agree these service providers may also contact you using autodialed or prerecorded calls and text messages, as authorized by us to carry out the purposes we have identified above, and not for their own purposes. Standard telephone minute and text charges may apply if we contact you.

I hope that you will amend this policy before I have to cancel my account.  If not, so long and thank you for the service up to this point.

Login to Me Too

S-c
Contributor
Contributor
"You agree these service providers may also contact you using autodialed or prerecorded calls and text messages, as authorized by us to carry out the purposes we have identified above, and not for their own purposes. Standard telephone minute and text charges may apply if we contact you." Not everyone who has a mobile phone has free text messages! At 25 cents a text, it is ridiculous and I would think illegal that I need to pay with no ability to opt out these robocall text messages!
Login to Me Too

ctlynch
New Community Member

I've been a Paypal user for over ten years.  I don't even want to think about how much money I've sent through Paypal during that time.  Probably tens of thousands.  That all comes to a screeching halt on the 1st of July when I pull the plug on my account due to the new TOS.

I do not need any more spam sent to my mobile phone, either as calls or texts.

Cameron

Login to Me Too

lbernstein
New Community Member

1.10 Calls to You; Mobile Telephone Numbers. 

Paypal, are you serious. I've been using your service for a long time now, but you've crossed the line. I will be cancelling my account before the July 1st deadline. Dumb move, really dumb move.

Login to Me Too

pdavis20
New Community Member

PayPal,

I agree with BoCoKeith, change your policy or you will lose me as a client as well.

Pat

Login to Me Too

hipsterhotel
Contributor
Contributor

I just sent this to Paypal via email and will post it on FB and other social media after reading an article online today about the new terms of agreement.

"I understand under your new terms of agreement that it allow you to robocall and text clients anytime and to sell our information. I want to opt out of all of this and with this email formally ask that my account is not subject to robocalls, texts or selling of my information to other companies."

Login to Me Too

Kretgar
New Community Member

The matter is very simple.

PayPal is banking on our dependence and previous usage of their site to allow them to enact self-serving policies that are totally against any normal semblence of acceptance.  They are betting on our laziness to either READ the policies, or to ACT when they are set.

For me, my account will be closed July 1st if the policy isn't changed to an OPT-IN format, or scrapped completely.

Login to Me Too

B-Rose_1121
New Community Member

Well said.  I agree completely and will follow suit before 7-15 if policy doesn't revert.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.