Why did my account change from personal to business? I never asked for a business account.

camainc
New Community Member

When I logged in to my personal this afternoon all of the sudden I am forced to answer a bunch of questions about my business. I don't want a business PayPal account. Why did this happen?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_david

Hey Camainc.

Welcome to the Community.

I'm sorry to hear that you have been experiencing difficulties when trying to access your PayPal account. If you are being asked to provide information about your business, it sounds to me that you may have created a business account on PayPal. If you are not using PayPal on behalf of a business, you can try entering your business type as Individual and this should help to get your issue resolved.

I hope this helps.
David.

Login to Me Too

NotHappyJanet
Contributor
Contributor

I also had a personal PayPal account for buying online and also for receiving payments from eBay sales - all of which are odd bits of clothing or items from home - generally fewer than 10 sales a year and for trivial amounts. 

I recently had a buyer use a credit card to pay for an item and PayPal then advised that I would need to upgrade to Business to access those funds.

When I investigated this option, there was no 'individual' status to choose from - only sole trader or higher structures and I do not agree that I am in fact a sole trader. I was also unable to proceed until I provided an ABN.  I have had to ask PayPal to downgrade my account again and I am waiting to hear from them. I have heard about the 'individual' status which would apply to my selling but I am not prepared to become a sole trader and trade with an ABN for the sake of selling ten to fifteen odd pieces of second hand clothing on eBay each year.

Login to Me Too

NotHappyJanet
Contributor
Contributor

It is only fair to note here that when I reached out to Paypal abouy my issue they came back to me quickly and sorted out the problem. They downgraded the unwanted business account back to personal. Perhaps you should approach them. They did assist me.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.