Locked out of account due to 2 Factor Authentication

Movinggun
Contributor
Contributor

Hey so I have had  two factor authentication on my account for a long time and have never has issues before recently. So I got a new phone and new phone number recently and my old phone number got deactivated before I could change it on Paypal. Now I have no way of accessing my account.

I tried  to call Paypal up on the phone and they told me to wait 3 days without attempting to login and told me the 2 factor authentication would be removed. I return 3 days later to find out I was still having the same issue, I called up again and think I got connected with the same support operator, they told me the exact same thing and ensured me in 3 days the two factor authentication would be removed.... So I waited another 3 days to find out I was still unable to login to my account. 

Now I have no idea what todo.  I have been locked out of my account for a week now with no resolution in site and I need to be able to use my account. I accept it is my fault for not changing the two factor authentication sooner but this just seems unacceptable.

Thanks

If anyone has any suggestions or could help that would be great. 

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

heidricha
Contributor
Contributor

Same for me, except I haven't tried to call PayPal yet.

I had to create another login to access forum at least.

Strange that a tech firm like PayPal found implementing 2fa a problem, and there's no way to overpass it at least for error reporting!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_DerrickD

Hi @heidricha,

If you're still unable to access your account, please contact customer service for support, we can definitely help you get back into your account. To contact customer service, please click Contact at the bottom of the PayPal website for available options, or reach out by PM on Facebook or DM on Twitter.

-Derrick

Login to Me Too

heidricha
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

I have tried Facebook, but just got the same: phonecall seems to be the only real opportunity.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_April

Hello @heidricha

If you don’t happen to have access to your phone to receive the text message code, there will typically be other options available on the secondary login page to complete the login process. If you are not provided options you will need to call Customer Support so that the necessary verification can be completed. 

You can locate their contact number by clicking on 'Contact' at the bottom of the PayPal page. Click on 'Call Us' and then select 'Call as Guest'. 

-April 

Login to Me Too

erkinslovakia
New Community Member

Immediately after I have authorized 2FA, It's become impossible to enter my account because CODEs never match (Google Authenticator)! 

The system recommends changing passwords, despite I know it perfectly. Ok have changed password several times, but  Codes still not match.

I was forced to open a new account just in order to have access to the forum. But no solutions found by the community...

Login to Me Too

Grantbutler
I tried that but your service reps are completely incompetent. I get a different one everytime and nobody even understands what I’m saying. They keep saying “your dispute was denied sorry you cannot get refund” I AM NOT ASKING FOR A REFUND. I need you to let the seller into his account so he can collect the money I sent.
Login to Me Too

jbmclw
Contributor
Contributor

This was such a bloody frustrating problem for me as well, but I finally got it resolved. The key is to find a HELPFUL representative. I kept getting these incompetent reps who told me that I had to close the account and open a new one. WTF? I spoke to a supervisor who told me the same story. BS. Anyway, I finally did find a representative who was able to add another telephone number -- my new cell number. I should mention that first he had to authenticate me by asking me questions from a PUBLIC DATABASE. (HOW CRAZY IS THAT PAYPAL??? Like the information in a public database like Redaris is going to be 100% correct. Anyway, I digress). He then made the NEW cell number the primary number on the account. There was one last important step: he had to reset the security settings on the account. For some reason the codes were still going to the old number until he the security reset.

GOOD LUCK PAYPAL USERS. YOU WILL NEED IT IN DEALING WITH PP... a sorry excuse of a company.

Login to Me Too

Romelo
Contributor
Contributor

I have this same problem since last March and still today there is no help from customer support!!!!

Tried calling their customer support and I'll just get that their department is closed. I tried contacting in Facebook and Twitter and request from them to have them call me to further verify my old PayPal account so that I can able to access it and update my new mobile number. But no luck at all!!!!

I cannot able to process some of my transactions since I have my old PayPal account and it's conflict to my newly created PayPal account. I just need 1 account only and still no luck in getting support from PayPal!!!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.