"Unusual events" taking place on your account.

Subject2Decay
Contributor
Contributor

Have you faced a message telling you that "Unusual events" have been taking place on your account when trying to log in? And there has been absolutely nothing out of the ordinary going on. So, why do you keep getting these messages everytime you're trying to log in? I have heard and know it to be 100% true that sites such Facebook do the same thing, although nothing "unusual" is going on. Facebook only wants to control what you can and can't write there. Yes, I'm talking about politics and certain opinions that are not — let's say — kosher to Facebook. These forbidden comments and writings are deleted and then when you try to go to Facebook's page, instead of your profile page loading, you get: WE HAVE DETECTED UNSUAL ACTIVITIES CONCERNING YOUR ACCOUNT. Then they ask you for your phone number and a BIG, CLEAR PHOTO SHOWING YOUR FACE. Why on earth? Well, if you're smart, you already figured out why.

Now, why is PayPal asking its users to call to some obscure overseas phone number (at what cost?) in order to get a "five-digit password". Umm, you cannot give this mystical password over e-mail or the message page on PayPal?

I already told them that I don't have a telephone. They told to me to get one from my relatives. I said I don't have any relatives. Then they told me to go to a payphone or to my neighbour. I said I don't have any neighbours and where I live, payphones disappeared in the very early 2000s. I don't know where the heck these PayPal people live at with public phones in every street corner!

Well, let's see what happens! And — again: NOTHING out of the ordinary has happened in terms of me using my account. Absolutely nothing. I'm just buying CDs and vinyls and that's literally everything I do with PayPal. Been doing it for quite a time now. The same old, same old.

Now I need to verify my credit card number each time I wish to log in and then a message is sent to my e-mail: I get a six-digit password that lets me finally log in after resetting my password. Sometimes it tells me that I can't use that specific password (WHAT?!?) and if I'm using Tor — please brace yourself for 20 CAPTCHA challenges after which you can log in again — just to get 20 more CAPTCHA challenges! PayPal clearly does not want its users to use Tor. Facebook does exactly the same: it's impossible to log in or register there using Tor.

Well, now I have VPN which is a pretty good thing. I highly recommend it to everybody concerned about their on-line safety! Ask for a VPN from your telephone company OR straight from the VPN provider!

Please share your thoughts if you have faced any similar things that I have.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Subject2Decay
Contributor
Contributor

"Using a new device" can't be the prolem, for people buy new devices everyday.

IP address is also changing each time your modem/router is started. I'm using a mobile broadband as most of the people in my country. Some people have the cable and some have the optical fibre connection. A mobile broadband is used commonly on desktops/laptops at home. They used to come with a small device size of a USB memory card ("stick"), but now they come with a bigger device working on grid power with several LAN-connections in the back. So, this can't be the problem either.

People also travel and must be able to access PayPal when abroad too. This can't explain my difficulties either.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.