My account is in the wrong country

tp_uksl
New Community Member

I'm a British citizen with a UK bank account, but I have been in Sri Lanka for the last couple of years. I set up a paypal account so I could receive personal payments to transfer into my UK bank account. These funds are exclusively coming from the UK and US and have nothing to do with my current physical location.

The problem is I currently only have a Sri Lankan mobile phone number. When I sign up and enter the number to get a security code, everything locks into SL mode, only allowing me to enter a local address etc. It then won't let me receive payments because Sri Lankans can only send.

How do I set up an account when my nationality, banking, permanent address etc is not the same as my current location and telephone number?

Thanks in advance

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tp_uksl 

Paypal is country specific so you have to open a paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / bank accounts / cards from within that country. In Sri Lanka you can only send payments for purchases funded by a Sri Lankan credit card and you can't receive paypal payments OR use another countries paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.