Life after bankruptcy

EvilDave9000
Contributor
Contributor

So in February 2019 I filed for bankruptcy due to a business failure. At the time I had a PayPal Credit account with around £500 owed. I can't remember the exact figure of the balance. The bank account linked to my PayPal was a Natwest account with a fairly substantial overdraft. Obviously, both of these were wiped out by the bankruptcy, though I would have liked to continue paying off the PayPal account, but alas one cannot legally favour one creditor over another during bankruptcy proceedings. PayPal initially ignored the bankruptcy and kept sending reminders that I had missed the payment on the credit account. It took several phone calls explaining that I was bankrupt and it was actually illegal for them to contact me before they did stop contacting me. The people I spoke to seemed to have no clue what to do about a bankrupt customer, and in fact I got the impression at least one of them didn't know what bankruptcy or insolvency meant.

I've found little to no information on PayPal policies regarding bankruptcy. My bankruptcy ended in February 2020 without issue.

I can still log on to my PayPal account, but it flashes up there is a problem to resolve. When I click this a message flashes up with the title "You can no longer use PayPal" and includes the text "We noticed activity in your account that's inconsistent with our User Agreement, and therefore we can no longer offer you PayPal services."

So to my question - I'm wondering what exactly I have contravened in the User Agreement and is there any way to get my account reinstated? Obviously PayPal would be very unlikely to offer me any credit. I realise this and I'm not looking to get credit, but it would be helpful to have a working PayPal account.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

EvilDave9000
Contributor
Contributor

Can anyone answer this?

Login to Me Too

lparton74
Contributor
Contributor

Can't help with this I'm afraid mate, but I'm in exactly the same boat! Did you ever get it sorted in the end? I can't get in touch with anyone who know's what they're talking about...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.