Help! PayPal account hacked “you’ve added a new email”

OliviaGR
New Community Member
Help! I have received what seem to be genuine emails and texts from paypal saying “you’ve added a new email to your paypal account” And a text: PayPal security alert: Did you sign in to your account at 11:00 AM BST, 13-Jun-2020? If yes, please reply 'Y'. If no, please reply 'N'. Message and data rates apply. Now I cannot login to my original paypal account using my original email address as “this account doesn’t exist” My bank account is linked to my paypal and I now have no way of accessing my original paypal account. It seems the email has changed completely and I have had to set up a new paypal with my original email address to be able to contact paypal at all. This is the email received: You've added a new email address to your PayPal account This is to confirm that you've added a new email address (***@awdrt.com) to your PayPal account. If you want to make this your primary email address – where we'll send all your account-related information – log in to your PayPal account and go to your Profile. If you didn't add this email, please let us know right away. It's important because it helps us make sure no one is accessing your account without your knowledge. ... Does anybody know how to help? How do I sort this problem/unlink my bank account from an account I can no longer access?
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Tbolton1970
Contributor
Contributor
Quickly call your bank and get their assistance with preventing all PayPal transactions from being processed. I assume you notified PayPal already. If it was your debit card attached to your bank account then the bank will need to freeze that card and rush you a new one. PayPal will most likely change the email back but there may be annoying hoops to jump through and then set up multiple verification methods on your paypal account for the future. Good luck
Login to Me Too

jsemenak
Contributor
Contributor

It seems your account was closed.

If you don't have direct debit agreement with paypal no problem. Nobody can use your bank account for taking money. If yes, u need cancel authorization of direct debit in your bank. If you have ebanking you can do it in few seconds. More serious problem is debit cards associated with your bank account. If u have linked these cards with your paypal you need immediately block these cards and ask for new ones.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.