block international payments

lmhjcr
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

When I list something on ebay for sale I have it set to not accept bids from outside of the United States and I also state in the description that I do not ship outside of the United States.  However, a few times I have gotten charged for cross border / international fees yet the package was being shipped to a location inside of the United States.  I tried to figure out how to avoid this so that someone is not bidding on an item and when they win using an account that ends up costing me an international fee for the transaction.  From what I have read I need to do that with my paypal account.  So what I would like to know is if I go to the Profile section and then select the Selling Tools Section > Getting Paid and Managing Risk> Block Payments and clicking to edit /update and select 

Block Payments for the items not sold on eBay from U.S. users who do not provide a confirmed address: YES
Yes

No

Ask Me

Block payments sent to me in a currency I do not hold:  YES
 Yes
 No, accept them and convert them to U.S. Dollars
 Ask Me

Block accidental payments:
You may prevent accidental payments by blocking duplicate invoice IDs  YES
 Yes, block multiple payments per invoice ID
 No, allow multiple payments per invoice ID

Block payments from users who:  HAVE NON-U.S. PAYPAL ACCOUNTS
Have non-U.S. PayPal accounts

Will this resolve the issue of being charged for cross border payments and currency conversion???

Thanks so Very Much.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

lmhjcr
Contributor
Contributor

Great ~ Thanks for the help, it is sooooo very much appreciated.  I don't recall what the original setting was but I have changed it to block payments sent in currency I do not hold.  

Again, Thank You so very Much and Happy Holidays!

Login to Me Too

Misty11
Advisor
Advisor

Hello lmhjcr and Happy Holidays to you!

You are very welcome, I am glad I could help! Let me know if I can help in any other way.

~Misty

Login to Me Too

Misty11
Advisor
Advisor

Hello lmhjcr,

Please see my updated post in regards to Cross Border fees.

Let me know if you have any questions.

~Misty

Login to Me Too

Misty11
Advisor
Advisor

Hello lmhjc,

The reason you may be getting charged a cross-border fee could be because the buyer is a US resident and the credit card is issued by a foreign bank with a billing address that is international. This will cause a cross border fee when a buyer is using that credit card as it cannot be attached to their U.S. PayPal account and payments made with that card will be treated as an international payment due to the billing address. (and not logging into to a PayPal account).

However, if you select the setting below the payment should not go through unless the currency is converted prior to the sale.

I would suggest setting "Block payments sent to me in a currency I do not hold" to YES and also change the settings to "Block payments from users who:  HAVE NON-U.S. PAYPAL ACCOUNTS' to YES as well.

I hope this helps.

~Misty

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.