IPN failure message

pluckedchicken
Contributor
Contributor

We're getting an email message from PayPal:

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN). IPNs sent to the following URL(s) are failing:

the file named in the email  exists , a part of our amember software, and has been in place, and unchanged since 2007

why are we now getting the message, and what can I do to fix it?

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23

dave1
New Community Member

I to have received these error message, but I am not the seller or merchant. I am the customer. So PayPal is sending info to the incorrect party as well as failing to acknowledge They have a problem!

Login to Me Too

Cherylsgifts2go
Contributor
Contributor

I have been getting the same messages for more than a month now. I immediately got in touch with the techs who said the IPN in my store was set up correctly, they told me it was a Paypal problem.Today I got a message saying the IPN has been disabled. I thought I would find some answers in the community but, I see everyone else is having the same problems. I also have had my store since 2007 - have never had a problem until now. I guess I will call Paypal to see if they can help me.

So, my IPN has been disabled. Is that a real problem? I still get notices through my personal email, well I did before I received this notice. Now I don't know. I am very confused.

Login to Me Too

carola5

This has been happening to me as well.  I have had this set-up for 3 years and now all the sudden it is sending the failure message.  Unfortunately for me, this is extremely distressing as this is how I see information someone has donated and signed up for a cancer event.  I too am not receiving a responses from PayPal.  Will keep on waiting!!! Do you know, can I change the URL to from my website to my personal email address for the IPN?  Thanks for any help.

Login to Me Too

eps
Contributor
Contributor

Yup!  We're getting the exact same message and we don't even have IPN turned on in our Paypal account.  We've contacted support and they were no help.  They were just as confused as we were.

Login to Me Too

pluckedchicken
Contributor
Contributor

wow.. that is interesting.

So far I haven't heard from any customers that hey are getting these IPN notices.. but if I were a customer I'd wonder about the mechant..  plus I don't like the idea of having my file locations being sent out to customers

I haven't heard anything on the ticket I opened with PayPal

Login to Me Too

eps
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, sending out the file location is not cool.

For as much money as Paypal charges in fees (if a bank charged for simple things like Paypal, they'd be out of business in a day) they have really been poor at implementing decent support.  It's hard to get a hold of them, when you do, they are many times not helpful, etc., etc.

At this point, I'm just waiting for this to resolve itself.

Login to Me Too

dougiedoo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

My problem is solved.  When I called PayPal I talked to one of their technical people and he walked me through

Logged in:

1. Clicked on Profile
  2. Selling Preferences (column on right side)
  3. Clicked on Instant Payment Notification
  4. Found that somehow one of my websites was listed there
  5. clicked on disable
  6. Problem solved..........I Hope....

Good luck to you'all

Login to Me Too

pluckedchicken
Contributor
Contributor

Disabling IPN works if your software doesn't expect, or is not set up for IPN, but my software/cart does expect an IPN and has a script to handle the IPNs

I can't turn off IPN or my software won't credit customers with the sale

Login to Me Too

dougiedoo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am not an expert in this area.  If you have your website URL http://www.xxxxxxxxxxx activated in the IPN page      Since I don't know your particular situation  

(I think)  It shouldn't be there. 

Be sure to read the information on the pages that I have posted here.  This function is for sending PayPal messages to an url that you specify.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use the IPN feature in these situations: 

• Your service provider, cart provider or website developer has asked you to
  • You have back-end systems that require IPN messages to automate business processes, such as creating shipping notifications and inputs to accounting applications

More information at these links.

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=developer/e_howto_admin_IPNIntro

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_profile-ipn-notify

I hope this helps....

Login to Me Too

eps
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, but we already have that disabled and we're still getting the notifications.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.