IPN failure message

pluckedchicken
Contributor
Contributor

We're getting an email message from PayPal:

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN). IPNs sent to the following URL(s) are failing:

the file named in the email  exists , a part of our amember software, and has been in place, and unchanged since 2007

why are we now getting the message, and what can I do to fix it?

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23

dougiedoo
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like we are in the same boat. (using PayPal since 2003) I sent a copy of my email from PayPal to my IPN and they sent me a test payment which worked fine.  (which I had to of course had to refund and that worked out fine)   They said that PayPal is having a problem with this sort of thing and it is not a problem with them (my Internet Payment Notification service).

Let's hope that PayPal gets it worked out?

Anyone that has new information it would be appreciated!

Login to Me Too

pluckedchicken
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't found a way to contact PayPal on the problem.. Do you know how to get a hold of someone at PayPal.. or have you heard of an ETA when it will be fixed?

Login to Me Too

dougiedoo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

A phone number I use when having a problem usually works.  Toll Free: 1-Login, Click "Contact Us", Click "Customer Service Center"

Plan to wait for a support agent.

Some information that my IPN sent me was very helpful. 

You can also check the IPN History on your orders. After you login to PayPal select History from the menu bar and select the last option "IPN History" You can select each of your orders and it should display the details. If you see anything that looks unusual in the IPN catagory  for your orders please let them (PayPal) know. 

(When checking my IPN file I discovered that it was an eBay  transaction that was the problem, which I rarely use anymore)  I have 5 active websites and don't need this kind of problem....! Smiley Sad

I hope this will help...  Good Luck!!!!

Login to Me Too

dougiedoo
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sorry but the phone number was left out of the PayPal (maybe is automatically eliminated by the forum service???  If it isn't in this reply that is what happened (might be a reason for it)

1-Login, Click "Contact Us", Click "Customer Service Center"  or  866-775-8151 

(I just discovered when previewing my reply that one phone number was automatically deleted..?? so the one remaining may not be valid.)

If not here than just follow the support or PayPal Help links

There is a link that will give you the phone numbers that you need to use  Good Luck

Dougiedoo

Login to Me Too

dougiedoo
Contributor
Contributor

Very interesting...I notice that they automatically inserted the information you need in my last reply.

I don't know whether it is recognition or a live person that does it but it was awful fast...Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

pluckedchicken
Contributor
Contributor

I don't use eBay.. and it appears payments are completing.. I'm just worried the customer won't get credit in the backend of my system.

Thanks for the help.. I'll try talking to PayPal

Login to Me Too

dougiedoo
Contributor
Contributor

I know what you mean.  It was a worry on my part also.

You might also check out the link that I mentioned for future reference

that my IPN suggested. 

I assume you are using PayPal buttons

It will list all of the transaction as far back as you want to go

with processing notations.

If you have time let me know what you find out in your conversation with PayPal, I would appreciate it.

Good Luck!

Login to Me Too

pluckedchicken
Contributor
Contributor

After calling PayPal support (you got to give the automated system a reason for the call, and eventually it will transfer you to an agent) i got  a hold of an agent that pointed me to paypal.com/mts

the explaination there is below, but I opend a ticket, because this still does not address my question, of why now, since my cart has been in place since 2007

As of 2/3/2009 some merchants may be receiving emails with the subject of "PayPal Instant Payment Notification Warning".

The purpose of this email is to notify you that PayPal is having trouble delivering IPNs to the URL(s) in the email. If you are receiving these emails you should check your IPN settings to ensure that the URL is set correctly and also that the IPN script on your server is in the location specified in the IPN settings on your PayPal account or as specified in your payment processing software that is integrated with PayPal.

You can see which IPNs are failing by checking your PayPal account IPN history. To see this please follow these steps:

- Login to PayPal account and hover the mouse over "History"

- In the drop down menu click "IPN history" (See screenshot below)

- Within the IPN history page, look for IPNs that are in a retrying or failed state to find which IPN script is failing

- Clicking on the "Message ID" for these IPNs will show the message that was sent, the number of retries and the URL it was sent to

Login to Me Too

dougiedoo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info.  I hope you can get it resolved soon.

Dougiedoo

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.