Changing default payment method with Buy Now Buttons

nbaxley
Contributor
Contributor

When using the Buy Now buttons, my users are taken to the PayPal login screen by default.  They have to click the "Don't have a PayPal account" link to switch to the Credit Card option.  Is there a way to make the CC option the default, or put both options on the same page.  I'm having confused users that think they have to have a PayPal account to purchase my items and I've lost a couple of sales this way.

Thanks for any feedback,

Nate Baxley

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

tservers
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi nbaxley,

I don't think it'll work like that if you accept money through PayPal. Here is the solution to this without losing sales and confusing customers.

Somewhere before customers order, or somewhere on your site, you should simply add a note similar to this:

You do not need to have a PayPal account to purchase from us. When you get to the PayPal screen when you checkout, simply look for the text to the left of the page that says something like "Don't have a PayPal account and want to pay with a credit card instead?... Click here"...

Change the wording to what it actually says on the page so that way customers will know it when they see it.

This is far better than trying to rack your brain trying to manipulate which screen show up. And if you place that text where they'll see it upon checkout, I don't see how they'll not understand.

Login to Me Too

nbaxley
Contributor
Contributor

Good suggestion tservers.  Still, it seems like it would make more sense that people who have already registered for a PayPal account would know to click the "Login to PayPal" option rather than the other way around.  Or maybe make both options available without clicking a link to uncover hidden information.  Seems like manipulation by PayPal to not give us an option to set the default.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Nate Baxley

Login to Me Too

inspiredMark
New Community Member

Agree this is nothing but manipulation by PayPal and it hurts businesses.  People are put off when they see they need to signup for a PP account.  Most folks don't scan a page for other options.  It should be a clear 50/50 option on which route to go down.

http://inspr.in/7TNG

'Don't have a PP account'  just suggests this is a link to create a PP account. Bad. Only if you read the ridiculously small 11px text underneath do you discover it's another option.

This is all done deliberately and it is plain bad.  Why should we have to eductate every customer on what they need to do?! Seriously.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.