Technical issue / 'defect' - (US) state field

DavidicusRex
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone else see this issue?   (iOS, Windows, Safari, Firefox)

When selecting PayPal option on merchant site, redirected to PayPal for login, and back to merchant (cart flow).  On return to cart (Billing/Shipping address form/fields), there is an error with state field.

The address fields auto-populate with info from PayPal.  The state field (TX in my case) auto-populates (usually it's a drop-down list field). While the text ("TX") is correct. on all merchants, in both OSs and browsers noted above, the field is highlighted with error. 

Often, if I select another state, then re-select TX form the drop down, it is fine and moves on.  On occasion (e.g., last night, hence today's inquiry), the error generates a 'fatal' error on merchant site and I am unable to correct / proceed (it takes me back to PayPal page, and wind up in loop of return to cart, error on state, and return to PP).  

ONLY seeing this with state field - everything else fine.  Easy to replicate across (now) some 20 merchant sites and various browsers, OSs and machines (Win 10, Win 7x Pro, iOS iPad, mobile). 

Anyone else seeing this?

Thx.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Tricia
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @DavidicusRex

I'm sorry to hear of the error. 

This sounds like something we should look further into. Please reach out to us directly for assistance. You can reach us from the Contact Us page on our site, Facebook, or on Twitter

We look forward to hearing from you, so we can see what options we have to help. 

Thanks, 
PayPal_Tricia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

DavidicusRex
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Tricia for fast response.  Lemme collect some screen shots of defect from various sites, OSs, browsers and submit as suggested. 

Easy to replicate and across multiple devices / machines, OSs, browsers, and sites - def does not appear to be a site or settings, device issue. Three forms of this defect (irrespective of browser, device):

1) On return to merchant cart / shipping info from PayPal, State Field populates ("TX" in my case) but highlights state field and generates error on page ("Invalid State") - can be cleared by selecting another state from page/form state list, the re-selecting "TX" / correct state.  This is most common - > 20 examples of error in last few weeks on iOS, Win, Safari, FF, Chrome.  Just replicated now. Screen shots avail.

2) On return to merchant cart from PayPal, state field is empty - all other fields populate. Next most common (just replicated now on different site from above).  Required selection of state to continue.

3) On return to merchant cart, site throws an exception / error - not recoverable unless user switches payment method.  Just replicated on yet another site - the error message reads: "Error authorizing with PayPal.  Please resolve the following issue on PayPal: [code: CUSTOMER-17 message populateState could not find any state. Country Code 1 United States"...  Looks like site is not getting state data from y'all. 

One other interesting note - PayPal as payment method also correlates with intermittent / infrequent "unable to ship to this address" messages on some merchant sites - using shipping (our only) address to which we recv from dozens of merchants, as order as often as several per week.  Sometimes resolves on subsequent attempt.  Not sure if related to above or some weird address normalization issue; but, passing along.

Will get to contacting you when I can, have time - you'll need to advise how to get y'all screen shots as not obvious from Help Center.

Login to Me Too

DavidicusRex
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Tricia,

So, I've collected 10 samples of the PaylPal auto field complete defect from various merchant sites (from large co's to smaller merchants). As noted three primary forms of error:  1) Most common is state field populates correctly from PP express checkout but shows as error (state invalid) requiring re-selection of state to continue, 2) State field is left empty on return from PP, though all other fields are correctly populated, and 3) State field data is not returned by PP in field auto complete and gens/throws an error/exception on the merchant (cart/ship info) page, stopping process (and looping so unable to complete transaction).  As also noted above, the defect is present on at least three browsers (FireFox, Chrome, Safari), three OSs (Win 10, WIn 7 Pro, iOS),and mult form factors incl latop/workstation, iPad, Android mobile. All sites have worked fine when trying same with alternate payment forms - AMEX/CC, Shopify, &c.

Neither chat nor FB are useful mechanisms for sharing these screen shots of your errors.  Please advise how you want these, as I assume your team will need to reproduce, diagnose.

Thanks in advance for your response.  Would like to hand this off.

Dave

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.