Set up Chip and swipe reader - Bluetooth pairing

trustcatalystts
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I've done the following which I have yet to see the PayPal Chip and Swipe Reader which I purchased and received last week:

1. followed the instructions included "Set up your reader".

2. rebooted (both hard and soft) my iPhone Xs

3. toggled bluetooth on/off on the iPhone.  powered down/up reader in different orders / combos.   reader has a the red solid led and the blue led continues to flash. 

4.  was running iOS 12.1.x, but with nothing working opted to do steps 1-3 with iOS beta code (12.2) seed 5.   still unable to get chip/card reader to pair.

5.  Killed all apps running in the background, including the PayPal Now, no change.

Note, i've got many other devices pairing with my iphone, from a apple watch to car stereos, so I don't believe the issue is with the bluetooth functionality of the iPhone Xs.  The Xs is using BlueTooth 5.0 wireless technology.  

I've got 3 questions please:

1. how do you factory reset or hard reset the card reader? 

2. how do you upgrade the card reader without it being paired with a mobile device? can I do it via usb either with my windows 10 pc or my Mac pro? 

3. any other suggestions for me to try?

note blue led is blinking- offnote blue led is blinking- offnote blue led is blinking- on.    reader never becomes discover-ablenote blue led is blinking- on. reader never becomes discover-able

Any feedback / guidance would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

trustcatalystts
Contributor
Contributor

Initial connect issue Solved!   I've (well actually my wife) has figured it out.  

Here's what we did on her iPhone8 then on my IphoneXs.   The key is to use the PayPal Here App to manage the initial connection. 

1. Turn on the card reader (fully charged) , blue led flashing, red led solid.

2. Launch the PayPal Here app.  login in. 

3. on the upper left of app, tap the 3 lines then

4. -> Card Readers -> Find and Connect to Reader

5. You'll see your reader, tap on it.   if you go to settings bluetooth on your phone you'll see it connected! 

Heres some snapshots to help out the community below:

FYI, the 1st time we connected it did a firmware (OS) and config upgrade. took about 5 min.  

paypal-help.png

Thanks.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

trustcatalystts
Contributor
Contributor

oh, I had turned off my Apple watch, just in case that was interfering. turned it back on - validating devices can connect (after all the reboots and putting iOS beta code on the iPhone) 

with Apple watch (series 1/8000) turned back onwith Apple watch (series 1/8000) turned back on

Login to Me Too

CharityAccount
New Community Member

I have four new readers and two new ipads and NOTHING is working. My iphone is only a few months old.

NOTHING is pairing. No bluetooth options are even coming up even with the red and blue lights on. Any help is much appreciated!

Login to Me Too
Solved

trustcatalystts
Contributor
Contributor

Initial connect issue Solved!   I've (well actually my wife) has figured it out.  

Here's what we did on her iPhone8 then on my IphoneXs.   The key is to use the PayPal Here App to manage the initial connection. 

1. Turn on the card reader (fully charged) , blue led flashing, red led solid.

2. Launch the PayPal Here app.  login in. 

3. on the upper left of app, tap the 3 lines then

4. -> Card Readers -> Find and Connect to Reader

5. You'll see your reader, tap on it.   if you go to settings bluetooth on your phone you'll see it connected! 

Heres some snapshots to help out the community below:

FYI, the 1st time we connected it did a firmware (OS) and config upgrade. took about 5 min.  

paypal-help.png

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.