Receiving random payments that do not relate to any sales

greenhouseman
New Community Member

We have been receiving a few (4 or 5 we have noticed so far over a couple of months) strange payments into our account under "goods and services" that do not relate to eBay or our web shop sales. They are often in strange currencies eg. NZ Dollars or Thai Bats and generally are addressed from the USA, some addresses are validated some not and email addresses the same. We have spoken to PayPal but have not really made any progress, chargebacks are starting to come and at £14 a pop I don't want this to continue.

Any thoughts?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Drew

Hi @greenhouseman

That's understandable why that would be aggravating. If you receive a payment and you don't know what it's for, the recommendation is to refund the payment immediately. We generally see this start happening when someone's account has been or may be compromised and the fraudster is starting to send test payments to the account before they try a bigger amount to exit the money. I don't mean to alarm you, but, you may want to take extra precautions to secure your account. 

The best place to start is to update your password and security questions. Also, we have a security key that works with a mobile phone where you will get a number that you have to use to sign in to your account every time. You can read more about it here: https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/what-is-2-step-verification-faq4057

Thanks, 

Drew

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.