Blocked Funds

SSAB
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I live in Central America, Panama and I opened a paypal account to receive payment for some freelance writing that I do from an international company. After receiving my first payment, I received an e-mail from paypal saying that they have limited my account because of suspicious activities and require a credit card number. I do not possess a US credit card, nor do I have a US bank account number. I have written to paypal 4 times stating this and demanding use of my account.  This is other people's money we're talking about! I am very disappointed in the poor service and horrible response time.

Please let me know if this is necessary. If it is, then I will close the account. I have not received any answers and it's been almost 2 months.

Thanks

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SSAB

Why would you want to add a U.S card to a Panama paypal account?

You are supposed to add a card issued in your own country to your Panama paypal account.

You would only add a U.S card if you had a U.S paypal account.

However you can't add a Panama bank account, the only option to withdraw funds is to a add a U.S bank account and that is ONLY because paypal is a U.S company and allows its ex-pats to add their bank accounts to other countries paypal accounts if they are living or working in that country.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SSAB
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

What do you mean by paypal Panama? Isn't it one site for every country? In any case I do not have a credit card number and would just like to use paypal to make payments since I'm receiving payment there. I checked and doublechecked and there is no Panama Paypal account.

I also opened an account for a friend and tried adding his Panamanian Visa credit card number and it was declined. 

Thanks anyway

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SSAB

No its not one site for every country. Paypal is country specific so you have to open a paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / and bank accounts from within that country.

When you open a paypal account you select your country from the drop down list. If you open a paypal account in a country where you do not reside then you won't be able to verify it or add an international shipping address.

Different countries allow you to do different things and in your country you can't 'withdraw' funds or add a bank account, only a card (which has to be a Panama one).

I also checked in the drop down box in the link below and Panama is most definately there so I suggest you look again.

If you opened a paypal account that was NOT a Panama one then of course his card would be declined.

Click on the link below and select the country you want from the drop down list for options available in that country.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-country-functionality-outside&dispatch=5885d80a13...

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SSAB
Contributor
Contributor
Yes I did that when I registered and also for my friend. I chose Panama, but it seems as if something must've happened why it's not accepting his credit card. I sent a message through Facebook to contact them re my situation so I hope they respond soon because I haven't been given a solution as to why they would freeze my funds. I have no credit cards and I do not want one. Thanks again for all your help though.
Login to Me Too

SSAB
Contributor
Contributor
Yes I did that when I registered and also for my friend. I chose Panama, but it seems as if something must've happened why it's not accepting his credit card. I sent a message through Facebook to contact them re my situation so I hope they respond soon because I haven't been given a solution as to why they would freeze my funds. I have no credit cards and I do not want one. Thanks again for all your help though.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.