Adding new email address error

adam0990a
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I want to add a new email address then switch it with my current primary address. The problem is that paypal won't allow me to add my new email address, an email account I created just 30 minutes ago which proves that no such email had existed prior to its creation but when I enter the new address in my settings then click 'Add Email Address' i get the message "We're sorry. You can't claim the payment with this account because it's already linked with another user. Try asking your sender to send it to a different email address if you have one." 

First of all, I'm not claiming a payment (from my paypal settings page I navigated to 'Email Address' then clicked the + symbol, taking me to the page where i entered the new email, nothing to do with payments was clicked), secondly there is no possible way the aforementioned email is linked to paypal as it didn't exist until 30 mins ago and during that time I hadn't visited paypal. I tested the function of the email adding feature by suggesting a BS email to it and it accepted that.

One thing I wonder may have interfered with it is my ebay account and changing my email there, from making that change succesfully I followed a link from ebay (to the paypal login screen) suggesting I update my paypal which I am now attempting to do. I wonder if somehow my new email being changed in ebay is messing with me doing the same in paypal?

So.. why is this happening and what can I do?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi adam0990a,

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community Forum and welcome as a new member!

Please call our Customer Support team by phone and they will be able to search the email address in our system to see if it is registered anywhere else. If you used the email address to create a new account 30 minutes prior to sending the message please make sure you have successfully closed this new account so the email address is not linked to the account anymore.

Thanks - Siobhan

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.