illegal transactions

NeedJustice
Contributor
Contributor

What does paypal do in case of illegal transactions?

I ordered handbags from paybags.com as they said they are authentic; but found be fake. It is illegal to sell fake / counterfeit goods.

Somehow I am not getting any help from paypal, please advise.

I can return these bags, but then I have to pay for huge shipping since stuff came from China and paybags.com takes 15% off for restocking. They are safe inspite of selling counterfeit products and consumer is the one who is suffering.

Paypal says they don't guarantee quality; but I am not talking about quality, I am talking about fake products.

Paypal also says that they don't tolerated illegal activity; but in my case they are totally OK to have this illegal activity.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

tj_harrell
Contributor
Contributor

What does PayPal do in the case of scams? Simple, it takes a commission and banks it.

After having just been defrauded myself by a seller (ImageMixer.net) using a clever scam to get beyond the 45-day period, I realised that I have no protection.

When I gave PayPal evidence from Nikon USA that this website was selling pirated versions of their software (which appear to be legit and work fine until you do a software update or upgrade), they completely ignored my information about the scam and said 'as this is over the 45-day period we cannot look into this claim'.

So, I get confirmationfrom Nikon USA of a notifiable scam from someone posing as a licensed Nikon reseller selling pirate software and PayPal do nothing.

In Summary - Paypal are happy to take the money, even if it's the result of fraud. If any other business behaved like this, the CEO would go to jail. I can only assume that PayPal have some friends in high places.

Login to Me Too

NeedJustice
Contributor
Contributor

I totally agree with you. Then where is the protection for buyer?

What can we do next?

I have reported to BBB, FTC and some places, waiting for reply.

Does ripitoff report work?

What to next? I don't want these people to go around and cheating other people.

Login to Me Too

QueenOfPink
New Community Member

I am embarrassed to admit that I bought a pair of counterfeit jeans from a website that accepts PayPal. I filed a complaint and of course, PayPal will not be able to reimburse me even though the item that was sent was the wrong style and obviously a bad fake. If the website claimed to have sold replicas I wouldn't have a leg to stand on but it doesn't AND it states that they have a return policy as long as you send back the merchandise within three days of receipt. Several angry emails later and I have no reply from them.

By the way, the site is http://cooltruereligions.com/

Although I feel foolish for believing what I was ordering was genuine AND that this scam left me out of $96 bucks, I think PayPal should screen their accounts more closely. Obviously what these people are doing is illegal and in a way, PayPal is propagating and supporting their activity by allowing them to transfer funds from trusting and dare I say gullible people (like me!?)

Login to Me Too

angelsoflightbp
Contributor
Contributor

I recently had some company called MidPhase.com make some unauthorized charge to my account.

I went through the steps of reporting the issue with Paypal, and changing my password and security, but does anyone know if you can block a merchant who has done this?

Login to Me Too

Karin71
Contributor
Contributor

Usually if you report it to your bank, they will not allow any future charges from the place go through.

Login to Me Too

NeedJustice
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a bunch for all the replies and support.

Regars,

Login to Me Too

aji
New Community Member

DFI (Department of Financial Institutions)
1-800-452-3328, (608) 264-7969

• All questions and/or complaints regarding banks, credit unions, credit cards, debt collection agencies, mortgage companies, investments

Contact them after FTC and BBB for PAYPAL and GE Money Bank

Login to Me Too

NeedJustice
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Regards,

<>Sue

Login to Me Too

camelion
New Community Member

Kids getting scammed on XBOX 360. My son just paid for a service from  m reiller 69 at gmail dot com, gamer tag FIQtion (ironic isn't it) and recieved nothing and was immediately blocked by perptrator. Any suggestions for recourse?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.