buyers were once the victim now honest sellers are getting robbed by dishonest bidders

pamela35004
Contributor
Contributor

i havee sold on eBay since day one and I praised the online auction site for giving opportunities to those who could not afford retail.

After so many complaints about so many consumers who were scammed by sellers now it is JUST THE OPPOSITE!!!!!  I stopped selling on eBay a few years ago after I became enraged that papal gave money back on a pair of designer heels that I clearly had pics showing that, not only were they new, but still had the 999.00 sticker price on the bottom. These monolo heels were one of a kind with svsk. crystals on the heels (I was told thess Monolos were commisioned) and it was very clear that they were never worn.

The buyer wore them from Thanksgiving-Valentines but papal still............. refunded their monery. (ARE YOU KIDDING ME????? NO UNFORTUNATELY NOT !!!!!

NOW PAYPAL BLAMES EBAY AND EBAY BLAMESPAYPAL !!!! WHAT ONCE WAS SOMETHING THAT NOT ONLY COULD I CONTINUE MY DEALER STATUS THAT ALLOWED ME TO SELL AS AN HONEST SELLERS BUT NOW BUYERS COULD SCAM SELLERS

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

trader
Contributor
Contributor

eBay has now become a scammers dream where dishonest buyers can con Paypal and harm legitimate sellers with absolute impunity.

I recently had a buyer who asked for a total refund because "we changed our mind" . After I reminded them the auction clearly says "no returns" they filed a bogus claim with Paypal and their brand new pristine item was now suddenly a "used, damaged piece of junk" . I responded to this with a copy of their original message to me, proof to any sane reader that there was nothing whatever wrong with the item when they first asked for a refund.

Paypal, as usual ignoring all common sense and logic, told them they could return the item for a refund. I assured the Paypal agent that this liar would either deliberately damage the item or not return it at all. Only after the buyer failed to prove the item was even shipped did Paypal deny this purely fraudulent claim.

I have since been repeated harassed by this buyer with demands for a refund and threats of a bad feedback if I don't give in to this ridiculous claim.

I will now have to dispute the inevitable bad feedback and risk losing even though  I kept copies of the threatening messages, but guess what?

That's right! DSR's are anonymous, just like graffitti in a public toilet! eBay has handed cheats, liars, and greedy or spiteful buyers a perfect weapon to use against any seller who dares defend his rights and his property. As far as I know there is no way to dispute low DSR's since eBay has chosen to hide their source from the seller.

Most buyers no longer care about feedback, since they can't get a negative no matter what they do. And fewer and fewer of the happy buyers bother to leave it, since there is no incentive. Meanwhile eBay does everything in it's power to make unwarranted complaints easy and now anonymous.

And although few of the happy buyers bother, ALL of the unscrupulous, the greedy, and the just plain nasty ones make that extra effort to tarnish our reputations. Any buyer who fails to get something-for-nothing (Yes, there IS no such thing as "free shipping". It's an imaginary eBay invention to get more fees!) can hide behind a wall of anonymity and complain about the shipping they themselves agreed to pay. 

And why bother reading the auction details properly? Paypal will just give you your money back and eBay will let you damage the seller's performance standing if the item you bought for $5 turns out not to be worth the $100 you thought it might.

I for one, am absolutely disgusted with eBay's heavy handed treatment of sellers and am actively looking for a way to leave the site.  eBay has clearly demonstrated nothing but pure contempt for part time sellers like myself. And it's policies prove that it has no respect for fair play in the marketplace.

If you sell eBay makes money. If you don't sell eBay makes money. If you ship free eBay makes even more money. If you charge for your postage, materials and time, eBay punishes you with lower search standing. If buyers complain, no matter how frivolously, eBay takes away your seller discounts and makes more money.

If you are not a megaseller, You cannot win on eBay!

trader

Login to Me Too

Reneep

I too was taken an 800.00 loss and the buyer returned a different item completely the buyer still got there money and the original item that was worth 8000.00 even after sending in pictures and any idiot could see that the one sold to them was not the one that they have returned to me, But they still are probably doing this to other sellers in that category and making a fortune and PAYPAL is backing them up. Then to top that off paypal has locked my account permantly. I have been selling for 5 years with a 100% feedback and power seller status, thanks alot PAYPAL, What a way to lose your income! But PAYPAL dont care! That is the Fact!

Login to Me Too

dbritelite
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there..I am sorry to learn that mine is not an isolated incident..I had a dispute filed by a buyer, on 11-21-09, claiming the item was not as described..But on 11-18-09, he had proclaimed the item as "exactly as described, A +++" as his feedback..

I pointed that fact out, but nevertheless, the matter was decided for the buyer..My gripe is that the entire amount, including shipping was refunded..This despite email assurances from Paypal that the buyer was to be responsible for the s & h both ways..Then continued to quote the refund as the wrong amount, and of course REFUNDED that amount..Unbelievable, but unfortunately true, and sadly, shows a pattern of backing only the buyers...

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@dbritelite wrote:
This despite email assurances from Paypal that the buyer was to be responsible for the s & h both ways..Then continued to quote the refund as the wrong amount, and of course REFUNDED that amount..Unbelievable, but unfortunately true, and sadly, shows a pattern of backing only the buyers...

PayPal generally requires the buyer to pay for return shipping. Can you please post the text of PayPal's email which said the buyer was responsible for the shipping & handling fee both ways?

Login to Me Too

dbritelite
Contributor
Contributor

I will be pleased to do so..thank you for your interest and assistance...I am new here and have never before been aware of the forum here...pretty neat...

the email particulars are presented w/o the name and transaction info

it was as follows ...

Transaction date: Nov 14, 2009
Transaction amount: $134.36 USD

We've determined that the buyer should receive a $134.36 USD refund if they
ship the merchandise back to you. The merchandise will be in the same
condition as when the buyer received it and the buyer is responsible for
all shipping and handling costs.

The bid was $124.39 and the s&h $9.99, although the actual cost of the postage was $13 bucks or so

Regards...

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@dbritelite wrote:

The merchandise will be in the same
condition as when the buyer received it and the buyer is responsible for
all shipping and handling costs.

Hi dbritelite, Thanks for posting the text of the email. It's a poorly worded email, and so... that explains why you understood it to say that the buyer pays for shipping both ways. The truth is that the buyer is expected to pay only for return shipping... the buyer will receive a full refund (item price + shipping) of the original payment when the buyer provides proof of return.

Login to Me Too

shaunral
New Community Member

I agree it is the sellers who get scammed on ebay with pay pal  I sold a painting stated clearly that I was unsure if it was a original or print  No refunds sold as is and pay pal granted the buyer a refund taking the funds from my account and come to find out the buyer filed the case before she even recieved the painting  Fed ex did not deliver until 1 and stated it was left on the porch no one at home and the buyer opened the case two hours before it was delivered I am considering another option for accepting payments

Login to Me Too

temp-w814am
Contributor
Contributor
if someone buys an item from me, never pays for it, i file for an "unpaid item strike" against the buyer, who in return can leave ME negative feedback and i can leave them nothing BUT positive. come on.......that is bizzare. where is the so called "seller protection"?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.