Yet another "is this a scam?"

ShadowXf
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I think my instinct is right on this, but I wish it wasn't because I would like $280, lol.  So anyway I posted something on craigslist -- here's the response I got.  Red flags went up because it was buying from one country -- shipping to another (nigeria no less) - and also a very quick arrangement without asking any additional product information, condition, etc with it being an ipod.  I sent the email with my paypal address first thing this morning when I got the email kinda half awake but thinking well it's paypal so gotta be safe - but as soon as I did bells started going off in my head so I quickly changed my email address completely deleting the one I had sent them for the account -- so I should be ok if this was a scam right?  Email I received follows:

"Thanks for getting back to me and i will like to let you know that am buying the item for my partner whom was currently transferred to american embassy in western part benue republic at oversea and you will be shipping the item down to her via Usps express speed post mail services EMS due to the fact that am at the camp residing in Brooklyn Ny where I am currently stationed for my rugby coaching and i will be paying you via bank paypal of $280 for you including the shipping fee.so kindly get back to me with your paypal account name with your e-mail address,so that i can send that to paypal for the instant money transfer."

Thanks for feedback
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

skier
Advisor
Advisor

Sounds like a text book scam.

One of the most common red flags is that the buyer wants to sent you the money via your PayPal email address. Normally as the seller, you send the buyer an email invoice or the purchase is processed through your web page or site.

Next common red flag, the buyer wants the item delivered to another country and recommends a specific shipping service for you to use

Another red flag, buyer offers to pay more than you're asking or is requesting shipment ASAP to an unconfirmed address or another state or country.

Beware when the seller wants you to send him the money for a purchase but you are asked to send the money as a "Gift".
This means that the seller is trying to avoid paying the transaction fees and also makes it hard for you to prove you actually purchased an item.

You can protect yourself in several ways:
Do not sell to non-US PayPal Accounts.
Require a "Confirmed Address" meaning that the shipping and billing address must be the same.
Opt to not accept eChecks.

These are all options you can enable from within your PayPal Account Profile.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

ShadowXf
Contributor
Contributor

Update -- I told buyer the item was no longer for sale -- but still got fairly official looking email to the address that I used to have on this account which fortunately I is no longer associated with my paypal account.  The email goes through the whole "the payment has been made and deducted from buyers account but will not show up on yours until you send tracking #. and so on".  Do I need to do anything, or is this one of those "looks real emails but isn't"?  I'm guessing so due to some of the grammar, like the glaring "You've got new fund!".  I imagine that if I ignore him (which I plan to do) I will start getting threatening emails of some sort and want to be sure he doesn't have a leg to stand on.  While writing this message I already got a second email from them again stating I had to reply with tracking # before I could get payment and an assurance that "This transaction is in order and legal.The fund will be credited into your PayPal account once the shipment reference number is sent to our verifying team at... "  So anyway by now I'm obviously well aware it's a scam, do I just ignore them now, or send a "jig is up response" -- or what is best protocol since they keep emailing?  Suggestions?

Login to Me Too

ShadowXf
Contributor
Contributor

And for a laugh -- of course someone tell me if I need to take this seriously but I doubt it.  after 5 "send item now" type emails switching back and forth between buyer email and "paypal" -- I finally sent a "game over" type email, saying I was aware it was not a legitimate transaction and all future emails would be blocked.  Before I could even hit block I had a response:

"Hey what do you mean by telling me you contacted paypal cause i was sent an e-mail from paypal that they have transfer to your account,so dont try to cheat on me cause i think the person who you talk with at paypal doesnt know anything about our transaction so don try to rip me off here....but i will make sure i report you to paypal and fbi cause i sent you an e-mail to let you know that the payment has been made to your account and i cant afford to lose my money here.."

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.