So much for BILL ME LATER

peanutpreacher
Contributor
Contributor

WELL...got to use it twice, paid my first statement in full, and now BML, purchased a couple of items for Christmas, and now BML is no longer an option for me.  Just spent 74 bucks.  Also, there is no way of knowing that it is not an option UNTIL after you win, or purchase an auction.  THEN..you are stuck.  Ebay needs to get this thing fixed or they will be losing alot of money this Christmas.  I planned to do most of my Christmas shopping on here, but now I've changed my plans and going to other sites.  I have no problems with Best Buy or Amazon.  So Ebay...you snooze you lose

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

azllamas82
Contributor
Contributor

Hello. I think the same thing has happened to me; I keep getting an error message "we are unable to authorize this transaction via BML", so, I'm assuming if I've won any auction items I can't pay for them any longer using this service. I don't recall this service ever advertising there was a limit on to what you're able to purchase; I was able to process 3  orders at about 1000 total spent between the 3, and now can't use it anymore.  Did you ever have a resolution, or is it pretty safe to say once they start 'declining' use of BML it means either pay it down or just don't use it as an option any longer? Any info would be helpful thank you!

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The company that was handling BML (CITI or CIT) filed for bankruptcy.  I believe thay are looking for a new partner now.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jason
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi Everyone-

Bill Me Later is a PayPal company, acquired by eBay last October.  Of course, it's available on many websites off of eBay, but because eBay does not handle merchandise as those businesses do, it operates a bit differently there.

Wherever it's available, Bill Me Later offers transactional credit.  That means each transaction has an individual determination on whether or not it will be processed, you are not issued a credit line with them.  On the BillMeLater.com FAQ page, you can see some of the reasons that a transaction was declined.  Additionally, you'll be mailed an explanation within 30 days for the reason for the decline.

On eBay, currently Bill Me Later is enabled for US sellers.  However, there are some category based exclusions where it can't be used for checkout.  The reasons Bill Me Later is not available at checkout are generally related to either a seller not being in the US or in a category where it's not accepted.

Thanks,

Jason

Login to Me Too

schnowz
New Community Member

Well, wouldn't it be the right thing to do for Paypal to INDICATE to users what items are acceptable? I just got a collegiate jersey that qualified for it, then some action figures that didn't. What is the difference here?  Who cares as long as I pay my bill?  This will definitely hurt ebays PROFIT margin this Christmas when you have to guess what bill me later will accept and what they won't.  Shame on Paypal.

Login to Me Too

peanutpreacher
Contributor
Contributor

If they can't get the computer geeks at ebay/paypal/billmelater to come up with just an icon to indicate the seller/item is acceptable, then Christmas just ain't going to be merry.  I don't intend to play "spend the wheel" on ebay when I can go elsewhere and KNOW whether or not Bill me later is taken there.   There are just too many rules on ebay concerning Bill Me Later and it's not worth wasting my time searching for items when other sites have already gotten their act together.  So so long for now Ebay till after Christmas. Maybe Santa will bring yall a solution.

Login to Me Too

aal1382
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jason!

So could you tell us how to use the Bill Me Later option from the Paypal website--for those who do not have the option appearing in the payments section?  It's really frustrating to not have it there--and there's no information on either the Paypal or BML websites on how to fix the glitch!

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

brotherspid
Contributor
Contributor

Actually if you got your fact correct you will find that CITI is not filling for bankruptcy its CIT bank which are two different banks all together.

Login to Me Too

jho928
New Community Member

It is amazing that idiots can run a company like this and turn a profit .I don't have the offer as an option either,maybe this is just a promo stunt to see if there is interest in a bill me later concept? I called the bill me later number twice and the reps no nothing about it.These people are so stupid they have a bill me later number listed and it sends you to paypal customer service and they no nothing about this.How much potential bussiness is paypal and cit bank losing?They could take the $100 and stick it up there a$$

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.