Regard Paypal's Buyer Protection Policy

user2009
Contributor
Contributor

I am interested in buying a $1020.00 item on eBay. I want to know that if i pay this seller using paypal and my items fails to arrive  (this seller has very low amount of feedbacks so I am asking this) would I automatically get my money back?

Does this matter if I pay with cash or credit card?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

temp20180930e
New Community Member

There is no buyer protection program. I boutht an item and found out it was a pirated copy.  Notified PAYPAL and files a complaint but they make it so hard and so expensive to return and even after you return the item, they deny your claim and you are without the item and now are responsible to work directly with the fraudulent seller.  BYPASS PAYPAL and pay with a credit card since you can easily dispute it and you are not out anything.

Login to Me Too

ris49
Contributor
Contributor

It's a gamble with PayPal or any other payment source. Buying over the internet site unseen is a gamble. It's not 100%  fulproof, but you can back your chances of a refund buy using a credit as a payment source in PayPal. If they don't help you with a dispute, you at least have the Credit card company you can usually do a dispute through.  They will do a charge back against PayPal to the seller. Be aware that PayPal at this point will be defending the seller but usually the credit card will find in your favor if the dispute was legitament. (Item wasn't received, was not as described etc. PayPal has a habit of defaulting to you cash funding, bank account, even if you have a credit card listed. You can either pick credit card with each purchase or remove your bank account to make it automatically choose credit card.

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Ignore the pervious poster, his information is incorrect.

Ebay buyers are covered under the paypal Buyer Protection Plan.

For sales $250.00 or more the seller will have to get signature confirmation which is viewable online.

If the seller doesn't have this, paypal will refund the buyer.

If the seller has signature confirmation but sends an empty box or junk, the buyer will have to file a SNAD claim with Paypal.  Paypal usually tells the buyer to send the item back to the buyer with signature confirmation and then refunds the buyer.  If the seller refuses the returned package, Paypal still refunds the buyer.

NOTE:  You should always fund all internet purchases with a credit card.  So if you do go through with this transaction, fund the payment with a credit card.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

ebay provides the buyer protection for ebay purhases now - there will be a link in the listing describing the protection and what's covered.

Pay with a credit card to get double coverage.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.