PayPal Instant Payment Notification Warning

Jezlad
New Community Member

Hi,

I've recently began to get this message from my vbulletin forum and wondered what it means? No files or anything have been changed, it just started to happen.

--------------------

Dear My Name

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN). Instant Payment Notifications sent to the following URL(s) are failing:

http://www.myforumurl.com

If you do not recognize this URL, you may be using a service provider that is using IPN on your behalf. Please contact your service provider with the above information. If this problem continues, IPNs may be disabled for your account.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this issue.

Yours sincerely,

PayPa

----------------------

Can anyone see why this would of started to happen.

I've also noticed that the only other people to post about this have done so within the last 20 hours which suggests it isnt my files but something on paypals end.

Regards,

Jezlad

Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

mhackney
Contributor
Contributor

I literally just got a new order (yes!) and I got an APPROVED IPN within a minute. So it worked fine on this new order.

Michael

Login to Me Too

lumpy21
New Community Member

add me too.

the url is

mysite.com/ppinp

I don't recall every haing a directory with that name on  my server.  I don't recall ever setting it up in mh profile  etc.

I have gone and deleted the url from my IPN notification section in the profile and checked "no" for receiving IPN notifications but they still come .

is anyone from paypal going to address this issue?

or at least reply to let us know that you are aware of it.

thanks,

lumpy21

Login to Me Too

Deanster

@lumpy21 wrote:

is anyone from paypal going to address this issue?

or at least reply to let us know that you are aware of it.

Probably not. Customer service is at an all time low these days. Somebody from Paypal could have chimed in here and helped a lot of people out with answers to whats going on. Either they're too busy, understaffed or just don't care about your problems. 

I've been getting notices for the last few days on a URL that I owned 10 years ago....very strange. I've spent 3 days trying to figure out how to turn the notices off but finally had to give up and contact Paypal to ask for help. They make it so difficult to do even the simplest things. Even contacting them - have to jump thru hoops to get a question answered. Jeeeez - whatever happened to good customer service???

Cheers and good luck getting your issues resolved. 

Login to Me Too

menco-tucson
Contributor
Contributor

I'm yet another confused recipient of this "warning." In my case the allegedly non-responsive URL is http://scripts.timbercreeksoftware.com/SoldPP.asp

I have never heard of this URL and do not use Timbercreek Software. Why PayPal would send any information about my payments to this site is a complete mystery and probably a violation of the PayPal Privacy Policy. 

In my experience it is unlikely PayPal will respond to this thread.

Login to Me Too

mikefarrace
Contributor
Contributor

Add me to the list. I hope whoever figures this out first posts the solution here.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

menco-tucson
Contributor
Contributor
Here's my own analysis: searching PayPal help file for "instant payment notification" suggested the non-responding URL was specified in my Profile, under "instant payment notification." Duh. Checking the suggested profile entry did show the non-responding link. I disabled "send payment notifications," hope this solves my problem. As it happens, Timber Creek Software many years ago offered a sales-tracking program called "Sold!" which I vaguely remember using for a trial period. Timber Creek went under two or three years ago, but apparently their server survived in some colo or other. Now that is dead too, and reports are bouncing. It is common for developers working under a master platform like eBay, PayPal, Facebook, etc to have the right to alter user settings to facilitate data transfer and probably that's how the TimberCreekSoftware.com URL wound up in my Profile. Advise you check YOUR Profile for similar entries. You will find it is necessary to disable notifications before you are able to delete the link on the second page. Mike N
Login to Me Too

Nope!  It does not help.  Mine was disabled to begin with. 😞

@menco-tucson wrote:
Here's my own analysis: searching PayPal help file for "instant payment notification" suggested the non-responding URL was specified in my Profile, under "instant payment notification." Duh. Checking the suggested profile entry did show the non-responding link. I disabled "send payment notifications," hope this solves my problem.
Login to Me Too

nitaonline
New Community Member

We're getting exactly the same annoying message too, in spite of the transactions getting through fine on our end. And those messages are very much annoying, as they do NOT offer any helpful recourse (worse yet: the abominable cop-out boilerplate text of "do not reply to this message" throws you for a loop, sending help that one has to dig deep for) while threatening to disable IPN.

Let me put it this way: because the IPN server does NOT send headers that conform to acceptable standards of traffic, my server has no way of telling PayPal's IPN servers from the riff-raff out there. So, I had to manually whitelist the four IPs to let IPN in, as well as unhooked the URI tickled by IPN from the usual checks for malfeasants.

And in return, now I'm being bombarded with notices that are unhelpful, unresponsive and non-informative.

So, here's my alternative approach: if PayPal can't get its own servers to comply with internet standards by sending appropriate headers, I may disable PayPal myself in favor of another service.

How's that for equity and sanity in customer relations?

Paint me thoroughly un-amused here.

Login to Me Too

mbstia

We are also having this problem. We started getting these on the 1st of Feb. I did some testing and realized this was referencing some membership software we no longer use, so I deleted the software from the server and also the database. I also went into Profile and IPN settings and deleted the URL. I am still getting messages EVERY day that read:

=============================================================

Hello Name,

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN). IPNs sent to the following URL(s) are failing:

URL to program on our server

If you do not recognize this URL, you may be using a service provider that is using IPN on your behalf. Please contact your service provider with the above information. If this problem continues, IPNs may be disabled for your account.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this issue.

Thanks,

PayPal

=======================================================

What can we do to stop this? I've deleted the IPN link and the software from server and this is annoying!

Thanks

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.