Mysterious $1 transaction when using American Express Gift Card as a Credit Card

nambinhvu
Contributor
Contributor

I recently purchased something on ebay and paid with paypal with an American Express Gift Card added as a credit card.  When I checked the balance of my card on the american express website I saw the item I purchased and the amount paid as well as a mysterious $1 transaction.  They were separate transactions.  Both transactions said PAYPAL INC MARK, but I don't know why there is a $1 transaction.  Can someone explain to me what this $1 transaction is?  It doesn't show up on paypal only the american express gift card balance.  Does paypal charge a fee for adding/using a credit card?  Please help, thank you.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

It's most likely a pre-authorization charge which will drop off after a few days.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

I think Sany's right - Paypal ( and a lot of other online merchants) send a request through for a $1 charge to trigger the verification process for the card.  Since they never confirm the purchase, the charge expires on its own.

So, you aren't out any money.

Login to Me Too

nambinhvu
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I figured it was something like that, but I wanted to make sure.  I guess I'll wait a few days before I accept it as a solution.  It's odd, usually they tell you about this pre-autorization charge, they tell you about it when you add a bank to your account I think, but not for credit cards.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.