How do I find out whether someone on paypal is verified?

darkstar
New Community Member

I am new to paypal and trying to find out how to determine if a paypal account is verified or not. I have completed a transaction and cannot seem to find that information. A friend told me that before completing a transaction, paypal dialogue box would alert me if the account i was sending funds to was not verified. Can anyone help? Thanks, Jason

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

skier
Advisor
Advisor

If a website displays a PayPal Verified Seal, you can click on that link, then you login into your PayPal and the vendor's or seller's information will be displayed. The information displayed is the vendor's email address, their status (verified) and the date the vendor's account was created. Problem is, not all website's display the PayPal Verified Seal as this is optional, it's not a requirement to display this seal.

There is a trick you can use to look up a US PayPal member to see if they have verified their account. Simply replace the email address in the example code below with the email address of the member you want to check out. Then copy the code to a blank web page, save it, then open the page with your web browser and click on "Lookup".   You can also copy the code using Notepad and save the file as text file.  Next, rename the text file by changing the extension from .txt to .html and save.  Then open the file with you web browser and click on "Lookup".

<a href="https://www.paypal.com/us/verified/pal=emailaddress @ email.com">Lookup></a>

How to find "your" Verified Seal Code, one method.
Assuming your PayPal Account is Verified.
Login to your PayPal Account.
In the Search Box, type in: Official PayPal Seal - PayPal and click on Search.
You should see a link to where you can get the necessary code.

Note, PayPal also has a disclaimer concerning the verification process, see the text below:

To become Verified, a PayPal member in the United States must provide us with proof that he or she has opened an account at a bank or other financial institution. Because these institutions are required by law to screen account holders, PayPal's verification process increases security when you pay parties you do not know. Please note that PayPal's verification system does not constitute an endorsement of a member, nor a guarantee of a member's business practices. You should always consider other indicators when evaluating members, including length of PayPal membership and reputation scores (on eBay or other auction sites, if applicable).

As you can see, there are no 100% guarantees. If you have doubts about a seller, do your homework. Note, it's very simple and does not take much time.

* First, check out the website by looking at the Contact information.

Does the seller provide a physical address and contact phone number? If the only way you can contact the seller is via an email form, find another seller as there's a reason they don't want you to know who they are.

* Next, look for the seller's website Policies and/or FAQs.
Does the seller have a customer satisfaction policy?
Does the seller accept returns?
What shipping methods/services does the seller use?

* Last, simply Google the vendor or seller and see what comes up.

Regads,

skier

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.