Account Hacked: Beware of Thief

Iwuzhacked
Contributor
Contributor

My account was hacked March 6 at around 230 am. The thief got my password and changed the password, email address, removed my bank account and tried to add 2 credit cards.  I don't know if he guessed the password or hacked into my computer and got a log of keystrokes. He also sent all my money out in a mass payment.

Anyway, I got PayPal on the phone 5 hours later, as soon as they opened. The rep was easy to work with and restored my funds and all is well.

I wanted to post the thief's address which he added to my account, as well as his phone number.  I contacted the FBI and filled out a report online.  PayPal said they could not prosecute as it was 'not their money'.

**bleep**

I bet the street address is bogus, but the phone may be real.

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

Iwuzhacked
Contributor
Contributor

I was told by the PayPal rep who fixed my account that typically the hacker will also hack into the email account associated with the account and delete the warning email notifications so the real user doesn't know that money has been removed. I was fortunate to use different passwords for email, bank, etc.

I had made the mistake of giving a girlfriend my email password years ago and after we broke up she sent out spam emails from my account, so I changed the password, which wound up protecting me in this instance.

I've changed all my other passwords since I found the trojan.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.