Taking legal action against a PayPal mistake

FelixHall88
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone, I've recently just lost an item and money through a mistake a PayPal operative made on the 18th of June. Here is what specifically occured:

I sold an item via PayPal and the buyer opened a case being unsatisfied with it, on the 16th of June.

I saw the case had been opened on the 18th of June, I then updated my return address and called PayPal. I specifically asked the representative to confirm my return address and he told me it would be sent to my updated address. I then authorisd the return.

I recieved an email being informed it would be returned to my old address and I rang PayPal to ask why, considering I spoke to an operative who confirmed otherwise. I was told not to worry and they would check if the buyer had sent the item. I then recieved an email informing me the buyer had not sent the item and also included in the email was direct instructions for the buyer to send the item to my current address.

I checked the tracking details provided by the buyer on July 3rd and it transpired it had been sent to my old address. I then contacted PayPal and spoke to a claims department manager who told me I would be refunded as he listened back to the conversation I made on the 18th and concluded PayPal had made an error.

I rang PayPal about an hour ago to check when I would be refunded yet the representative I spoke with told me I would not be refunded. He actually lied to me and told me I did not change my address before authorising the return, yet I have proof via email otherwise. I have requested a call back with the same manager I spoke with on the 3rd.

I want to take legal action ASAP as I am completely unhappy with their refusal to accept responsibility for this mistake which has cost me a lot of money. I am also pretty disgusted with the complete lack of customer service. Can anyone here provide me advice on what I can do?

Thanks for reading.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

mainaarmario
Contributor
Contributor

I just had the same exact thing happen to me, the returned item was shipped to the wrong address, yet PayPal refunded the buyer. I still have not received the item, nor was I able to inspect the item to confirm it is the same item I shipped, and in the same condition! Have you had any luck with legal action? I am calling my attorney tomorrow morning.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FelixHall88

For legal advice you need to speak to citizens advice or look into the small claims court.

But here are Paypal options for you.

https://www.paypal.com/gb/selfhelp/article/how-can-i-make-a-formal-complaint-to-paypal-faq2016?app=s...

14. Disputes with PayPal

14.1 Contact PayPal First. If a dispute arises between you and PayPal, our goal is to learn about and address your concerns and, if we are unable to do so to your satisfaction, to provide you with a neutral and cost effective means of resolving the dispute quickly. Disputes between you and PayPal regarding our Services may be reported to Customer Service online via the "Email Us" link on the "Contact Us" page at any time, or by calling the Customer Service telephone number located on the PayPal website(s) and by logging into your Account.

14.2 ECC-Net, Financial Ombudsman Service and CSSF. If you have a complaint to make about us, you may choose to escalate it by contacting one of the following:

1. European Consumer Centre (ECC-Net). You may obtain further information regarding the ECC-Net and how to contact them at (http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/redress_cons/).
  2. UK Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). For UK resident Users only - the FOS is a free, independent service which might be able to settle a complaint between you and us. You may obtain further information regarding the FOS and contact the FOS at http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk.
  3. Commission de Surveillance du Secteur Financier (CSSF). The CSSF is the authority responsible for the prudential supervision of companies in the financial sector in Luxembourg. You can contact the CSSF at 283 Route d’Arlon, L-1150 Luxembourg. You may obtain further information regarding the CSSF and how to contact them at: http://www.cssf.lu.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.