Scammed by an Ebay seller

mstee
Contributor
Contributor

Early this morning I paid for some tickets on Ebay.

When I checked my Paypal account, it said the transaction was completed and the amount of £100 was deducted.

So I log back into Ebay a few hours later to discover the seller RELISTED the tickets that I already paid for.

I told the seller they need to take the item offline because I had already paid for them.

The seller replied and said I did not pay for the tickets. When I log into Ebay, it says the following:

Your 18-May-13 payment is being processed through PayPal

I don't really understand, because wouldn't it say in my Paypal account that the payment is PENDING? It doesn't. It says the payment is COMPLETED. The concert is EXACTLY one week so I don't want this to drag on. I told the seller they need to remove the sale until the problem is resolved. They haven't responded back and the tickets are still on sale. So now, I'm £100 out of pocket as seller says they did not get the payment although Paypal clearly deducted the amount from the sale.

It should also be noted that despite the seller having a high selling history, they have 0% feedback, which probably should have served as a warning sign. I've brought concert tickets countless times on Ebay and have never had a problem. Until now. What should I do?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Sounds as if the seller might have an old email addy on their auction.

Tell the SELLER TO DO THIS.

Go and find the transaction in your “my ebay” > click to the right where it says sell similar > don't fill in anything just scroll down to the payments section > look in the paypal box > is the email addy in there correct with no spelling mistakes? If so then it would have been wrong on your finished auctions so come back for more advice.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

mstee
Contributor
Contributor

Thanx! I'll let you know how it goes!

Login to Me Too

mstee
Contributor
Contributor

By the way, there was no auction for this item. It was a BUY IT NOW.

Login to Me Too

mstee
Contributor
Contributor

Now they're playing dumb, asking if I paid using Paypal when I clearly stated in my first response that I used Paypal to make the payment. And doesn't Ebay REQUIRE you to use Paypal anyway since they're one in the same? This seller just isn't coming across as genuine at all. And they STILL haven't removed the items offline. I wanted to sort this out WITHOUT having to put in a dispute with Ebay and Paypal but it looks like I'm going to have to.

Login to Me Too

mstee
Contributor
Contributor

Well, thankfully, they've removed the item offline. Not sure if that means it was an innocent error or they got the money. I told them if I get no response by 5pm, I'll be taking steps to get my money back.

Login to Me Too

mstee
Contributor
Contributor

OK. Situation is now resolved. For now. I won't relax until I actually have the items in my possession. This is why I am always wary of eBay although I've brought (and sold) items on there before. It's too easy for people to get scammed. Anyway, the seller apologised for the mix up and said that eBay hadn't recorded the payment which is why he relisted the items. But when he checked into Paypal, he saw the payment. So tickets will now be dispatched first thing on Monday morning. Fingers crossed.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.