Paypal Witholding Payment - Unable to Provide Reason!

Tancred
Contributor
Contributor

I've had a payment withheld by Paypl and they can't tell me why.

The item that was bought has been delivered, and (very) positive feedback has been left on Ebay.

I contacted Paypal and after the usual guff about being a valued customer, they told me it is a one-off hold and can't be released for seven days.

When I asked WHY it had been withheld, they just parotted - repeatedly - that it was for security reasons and that it's a one-off.

Was it that it was an unusual item that I was selling? No - I've sold several items of this type since January.

Was it unusually expensive? No - it's about mid-price in what I've been selling. 

Was it poor feedback. No - I've only had one piece of negative feedback (about which I filed a complaint concerning unreasonableness) since I joined in 2002!

So why was it? Erm - don't know ... "could be any of hundreds of reasons."

OK, so how about going onto my public Ebay profile and checking the very positive feedback as confirmation the item arrived. Oh no, we're not allowed to do that. But it's a public website!? Oh no, our systems don't allow it. So use your smartphone? Oh no, that's not allowed either.

If this is how they treat especially "valued" customers, I pity the ordinary sort.

Most of all, I want MY money. If a high street bank did this, there would be a run on them. If I withheld payment to Paypal citing my security system, they'd have the bailiff sround.

It's outrageous. If anyone who' suffered in the same way wants to get together to contact a TV or radio consumer watchdog programme on this, just let me know.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tancred

New seller hold that every new seller goes through.

Or random hold for security reasons.
Positive feedback is not one of the criteria for early release of funds.

More info in the link below.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/security/ebay-payments-learn-more

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Tancred
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, if it wasn't for the fact taht I am not a new seller.

As I said in my original post, I've been using Paypal since 2002.

Also I have sold several thousand pounds worth of items through them.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tancred

Which is why i put in the reason in the second line of my reply.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Tancred
Contributor
Contributor

This is a circular argument. "A random hold for security reasons" is WHAT has happened, not WHY it has happened.

They cannot explain the security reason for which they have withheld my money.

I am being penalised for something that they cannot explain.

To put it simply, it is like being arrested for breaking the law, but not being told what law you've broken.

I really can't make it much clearer.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tancred

OK but there is nothing WE can do can we apart from tell you that paypal are holding it as a random hold as per their user agreement.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Aurielle2000
Yet they will let some payments through? I have had countless so called 'random' holds. How many thousands of other people's payments are they holding.Earns them a pretty penny on interest fees when holding all that money eh? Held my refunds as well.Heartily sick of paypal
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.