Looks like I have a scammer

lesleyafuller
Contributor
Contributor

Have attempted to be scammed by xxxxx using pay pal.  

Claims to have hearing loss and in a wheel chair and buying for a cousin in Europe.

Wants to arrange a courier to pick up the goods.  

The scam is you end up having to pay the courier charges.

Avoid this and check google for other similar scams!!

post edited to comply with forum guidelines.

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

These scammers hijack email addresses and use them in their scams until the account holder can recover them.

So you may well be posting an innocent persons email address on this public board.

Best you edit and remove it asap if you can.

I give up my time to help you so a thank you or kudos would be cool.

Marking one of my replies as a solution would be appreciated if I sorted your problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

TopDogSports
New Community Member
Exact same scam from gumtree. Thanks for original poster as really helped and saved me getting **bleep** out of money!
Login to Me Too

ratcliffe
New Community Member

Thanks for posting, I have had contact from this same email address with the same medical history asking for my item on Gumtree to be posted to France.   I had immediate suspicions, and this confirms it.

Login to Me Too

Mucito85
Contributor
Contributor
I've got the same situation from today the same email! Found me on gumtree asking to send money to Paris and sending me scam email from paypal . Be careful everyone !!!
Login to Me Too

JosephBrayn
New Community Member

Yep, Ive had this too, same email address (marycampbell241991 and same story... 

Login to Me Too

timwharton01
New Community Member

Yup, same here. 'Mary' is happy to pay full price, as long as a 'courier' can pick the item up (due to her hearing loss and being wheelchair bound).

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jessica

Hi all,

Thanks for posting in the forum.

The best thing to avoid issues is to keep in mind the criteria to be covered under the PayPal Seller Protection, which you will find if you click "Legal" at the bottom of the PayPal page and then select User Agreement and Seller Protection. You can also follow the below tips that can help to reduce the risk or potentially fraudulent transaction.

• When applicable, review the buyer's eBay feedback or reputation.
  • Ask the buyer for a contact phone number. Call the buyer back to verify the order.
  • Does the buyer want express regardless of the cost?
  • Does the buyer's PayPal email address match the address of the buyer's external communications to you?
  • Does the buyer ask you to ship to a country that is not approved by PayPal? Such transactions should generally be avoided as there is a greater risk of the transaction being reversed.

Here's how to view a complete list of PayPal approved countries and regions:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click "Worldwide" at the bottom of the PayPal page.

Hope the above helps 🙂

Jessica

Login to Me Too

Pete55
New Community Member
I'm so glad that I was a it suspicion! This is the email that I've just had this morning from marycampbell241991 at gmail.com Apart from signing Mary up to a load of junk mail, I don't know if there is a lot that we can do? Great! please consider it sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and I'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and me being on a wheelchair. I would appreciate if you email me with more photos (if available) since I'm unable to see it in person. i have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and I'll pay you via PayPal today. Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?
Login to Me Too

helenmpearson
New Community Member

I've had the exact same message from someone wanting to buy an item I have advertised.

Hearing loss and in a wheelchair but willing to pay full asking price on an item unseen and one that needs to be inspected.... I think the cousin must be called Brian O'Gus!

I did think about giving my local police station as my address but thought letting people know about the attempted scam would be more effective. I've publicised the email address to warn others.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.