Charge back time limits

charlysez1
Contributor
Contributor

I have received a charge back notification, the transaction was in JANUARY 2015, I thought the 180 days might the claim had to be made within that time limit?  The purchaser is claiming that there was fraudulent use on their card, states they did receive the goods though. 

Where do I stand with this?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi charlysez1

Chargebacks are filed outside of ppal

The card issuer decides on the outcome not ppal

Respond to the dispute though

Stating any messages, when it was bought, any info which might help etc as ppal will check if you're eligible for sellers protection and will dispute the chargeback on your behalf

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

It is 180 days

They are outside the time limit so in all fairness there shouldnt be a case but Im not the ccard company

Let me know how u get on

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@charlysez1

Hi they are not outside the time limit as that is 540 days for a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SupaAnnoyed
Contributor
Contributor

You have 90 days to file a chargeback with your credit card. 540? @What are you smoking?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SupaAnnoyed

Depends WHAT they bought and as the person WAS able to open a chargeback as per the first post then this may apply.

http://www.money.co.uk/guides/chargeback-claims-how-to-get-your-money-back.htm

If you made the purchase in person, the 120 day period starts from the date of the transaction.

With online purchases, this date is usually the delivery date of your order.

The time limit on making your Chargeback claim depends on which company issue your card:

• MasterCard: You need to start your claim no more than 120 days after your transaction went wrong

• Visa: Within 120 days of the transaction going wrong (or 180 days for an overseas transaction)

• American Express: Within three months of the transaction

You can claim after these periods if you bought a service that will be used in the future, like flights or concert tickets. In these cases, the time limit would start from your flight's departure date or the date of the concert, although you would need to claim within 540 days of when you paid.

Also you stated it was 90 days and its actually normally 120 days AND you were replying to a thread nearly a year old so what are YOU smoking ???

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.