have I been scammed? I have not received my money!

lizziemouse123
Contributor
Contributor

I recently sold some Beats by Dre headphones via depop. Someone messaged me to tell me they were interested, and said they wanted to buy outside of Depop to avoid the charge that Depop use. 

I gave them my email address for paypal and asked them to send it via goods as services. 

I got an email from 'paypaltransactionsinvoice' - which i didnt even think to look at at the time, saying David Samuels had sent me 199.00.

I then sent them the item and the tracking number which they said they gave to paypal when they received my item, however I still have not got the money (25 days later) and I cannot see a 'pending transaction' anywhere in my account

Can anyone help me? Have I been scammed?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lizziemouse123

Yes you have been scammed, paypal NEVER tell you to send an item until the money shows in your paypal account balance.

Also paypal payments are more or less instant.

Even if its pending (if you are a new seller etc), then it still shows in your balance but in the pending section.

Also paypal does not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection but it is not compulsory.

It also helps the payment be released more quickly 'if' you are subject to the new seller hold.

Also sellers send invoices and not buyers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

lizziemouse123
Contributor
Contributor

will i be covered by pay pal?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lizziemouse123

Well no as none of the transaction was done using paypals site.

The email you had was a 'spoof' and not from paypal at all.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.