Am I being duped ?

emmise77
Contributor
Contributor

We ordered an appliance repair and subsequent parts(2) which, we then cancelled as they had taken too long to deliver. 

When the company we were using refused to reply to e-mails or call back, we flagged as 'in dispute' on PP resolution centre. 

1st off we recieved a message back, with incorrect information, referring to an old repair that we have no knowledge of. The fact that we got an identical e-mail for both our transactions raised suspicions.

We managed to speak with the company who have agreed that both transacions will be refunded, but becuase we have flagged up, they no longer have the funds to give back.  They have also not replied to any messages in the resolution centre, other than the above incorrect repair.

We have not as yet escalated to a claim.

I am worried they are telling us to wait for PP to make the refund which could take up to 30 days ?! why, PP is usually instant. 

There is a 20 day window in which to escalate our issue to PP. If we don't (because we are waiting 30 days for this refund) will they get to keep our money ?

Please can someone clarify the situation ?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@emmise77

Not sure what 30 days has to do with anything???

Whether the company can or cannot refund you at the moment because of funding issues is not your problem.

The dispute phase is just to communicate with the seller but if they do not refund then i personally escalate the dispute to a claim after a few days.

You don't have to wait 20 days, once you escalate then paypal get involved. If you opened the correct dispute ie item not received then the seller will have 10 days to provide a tracking number to prove delivery of the item to you or they will have to refund. If they do not then paypal will do so under their buyer protection scheme.

So escalate now and leave it up to paypal to sort for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

emmise77
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your response.. 

We are being told to wait 30 days by the company for the refund to be processed. If we wait said 30 days, we will have missed our 20 day window of opportunity to escalate to PP.  

the only comment the company have made on the resolution centre, is an incorrect one..  along the lines of:

this was a fee for the repair to X that was completed in July 2016. We have all the information on the Job that was collected by the Engineer including images and customer signature. The customer is claiming they have not received the service which is a blatant lie and an attempt to obtain a refund by deception.. I will insist that obtaining monies by deception is a criminal offence.  

if this goes to PP for dispute, how will PP know who to believe ?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@emmise77

It does not take 30 days to process a refund.

I have already advised you what to do and told you how the dispute works, the rest is up to you.

There are no guarantees with a dispute but if you don't escalate then you won't have any chance at all.

If you don't believe me then wait your 30 days and lose your refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

emmise77
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, 

no no I do beleive you, thats the clarity I needed..   it doesnt take 30 days and if I wait i will lose my refund. 
i will escalate now.

Thanks again..

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.