Strange shipping label email

cbqbill
Contributor
Contributor

I found four emails this Christmas morning from **************** with subject:  "You created a shipping label with PayPal Shipping"  I went to PayPal and found the four items on my account each for a $24.79 payment sent to a usps6. 

I went to the dispute center and found the items already under review by PayPal. The items had not been deducted from my credit card account.  I also had to answer my security questions and location with PayPal.

What happened?  PayPal customer service is closed today.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

cbqbill
Contributor
Contributor

I phoned the resolution center this morning about four transactions which appeared in my email box on Christmas morning. They involved shipping labels and were for a total of about $100. I knew nothing about them and rarely use PayPal. The agent told me that PayPal would investigate and to "watch my email" for the next couple of weeks!!! When I asked how this could have happened, he answered that my password had been compromised (PayPal prompted me to change it and my security questions when I logged on to my account on Sunday.)

My questions for the forum are: 1)  How was my password compromised?   2) Should we refrain from linking PayPal to checking accounts with PayPals ability to immediate transfer funds from them?   3)  If my password was compromised, could the perpetrator have learned my credit/debit card and bank account information as well?  

I realize that forum rules preclude my giving details, but these were questionable enough for PayPal to place a hold on payment before I contacted them, but it did not delay PayPal's withdrawal of the funds from my checking account today.  If this gets resolved quickly, I will to let you all know. In the meantime, I am very close to being overdrawn and will have trouble paying the rent next week. .

Login to Me Too

yfzbob
Contributor
Contributor

Add me to the Unauthorized USPS Label scam... I was dinged 8 times on 12/23/2011. Still under investigation.

Current status: Contact seller... :manfrustrated:

I too, have the same questions:

1. How was my password compromise?
  2.  Should we refrain from linking PayPal to checking accounts with PayPals ability to immediate transfer funds from them?
  3.  If my password was compromised, could the perpetrator have learned my credit/debit card and bank account information as well? 

Login to Me Too

cbqbill
Contributor
Contributor

I removed  my major checking account from PayPal and replaced it with a small debit card account I use for online purchases.  It never has more than $200 deposited.

I can't understand why it takes PayPal so long to do their "due diligence" as they call it. They sent me a letter I could give my bank in case the fraud results in overdraft fees.  The letter uses the word "fraud."

For myself, I have lost my confidence in PayPal's ability to follow through with their assurances. I will keep my account with them only because there are some occasions when PayPal is the only payment option.  In the future, I will request alternative payment methods from those sellers.

Login to Me Too

yfzbob
Contributor
Contributor

Just received this from Paypal...

We've finished reviewing your unauthorized activity claim and you'll
receive a refund for the transaction amount. It may take up to 5 business
days for the funds to appear in your account.

All inquries resolved. Thanks Fraud Department for refunding all of my money back....
Hope this positive post helps those who are in Limbo. Smiley Happy

I'ved done the same as below...

@cbqbill wrote:

I removed  my major checking account from PayPal and replaced it with a small debit card account I use for online purchases.  It never has more than $200 deposited.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.